Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2022, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Anyone try M2 yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I'm assuming you mean that you can preconfigure the Apple Silicon Macs with a higher amount of RAM at time of purchase. The RAM is part of the SOC architecture and not a separate memory module r sticks or RAM.

So, "you" cannot "add" more RAM. You must buy the system with the Apple Silicon with all the RAM you'll ever be able to use on that computer. The RAM is not user upgradeable.

When the Mac Pro goes Apple Silicon, we'll see what apple does in regard to RAM expansion. Perhaps a secondary level RAM that is not as fast as the onboard primary RAM on the SOC.
Correct, I will clarify that by “add more RAM”. I meant add it to the configuration when ordering the machine from Apple. (Which is still “adding RAM). My bad in assuming that it is a well known fact that these machines are not upgradable once purchased.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I've come across this before and I asked the question here some time ago, but I was told it wasn't so. I believe you because I've read it in many places. You don't use Windows at all, do you? How do you compare your M1's performance against the other macs you've used?
I have been Windows free for 20 years.

What I can tell for sure is I can open same sessions than 2013 thrashcan w/64GB memory and it is safe to say this 16GB is just as good as 32GB memory on Intel, if not more.

This is not even swapping normally, but when I do a stress test the swap goes to 3000MB/s internal storage which means I have 2TB of swapping space that is faster than DDR3 memory that was top of the line 15 years ago.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
P.S. why are you so reactive to my comments? Did you take them personally? If you have conflicting information, by all means, please share it. The more info people have the better it will be for everyone looking to upgrade systems. I only share what my experience has been since using the M1 Mac Mini with Pro Tools professionally as of March 2021.
Nothing personal. I'm sorry if I come off as confrontative, not my intention. I simply try to address things I view as false or ambiguous.

And I did share. I think my earlier post was pretty to the point of the topic of this thread, and quite comprehensive.

I do think that you should avoid editing your post several hours later. Makes it difficult to follow. I noticed your addition by accident.
There I go again…
Old 08-16-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I do think that you should avoid editing your post several hours later. Makes it difficult to follow. I noticed your addition by accident.
There I go again…
I'm not sure what you're referring to "hours later". My original post was at 06:26 which I then edited at 06:39. Not sure that's "hours" later. In any case, we are getting off topic here and think it's time to move on.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I'm not sure what you're referring to "hours later". My original post was at 06:26 which I then edited at 06:39. Not sure that's "hours" later. In any case, we are getting off topic here and think it's time to move on.
Sorry, my mistake.
Agreed. Move on.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:45 PM

I went from a 2018 Mac Mini to an M1 Mini and (unscientifically) my sessions opened faster and ran better (less system usage, etc...).

Selling my base M1 Mini now because I bought the Mac Studio and I can tell you that as big a leap as my M1 Mini was over my 2018 the Studio seems to be just a flat out game changer for me. YMMV.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 08-16-2022, 05:29 PM

To clear up the RAM debate, the RAM in all apple silicon is ungodly fast. So that’s where the idea of 8 is like 16 comes from. But that does NOT account for the amount of things you may need to load into RAM. So, if you don’t load more than let’s say, 8GB of anything into RAM, likely no reason to go above 16. But big VI based sessions may need much much more than that.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSoundAuthentic View Post
To clear up the RAM debate, the RAM in all apple silicon is ungodly fast. So that’s where the idea of 8 is like 16 comes from. But that does NOT account for the amount of things you may need to load into RAM. So, if you don’t load more than let’s say, 8GB of anything into RAM, likely no reason to go above 16. But big VI based sessions may need much much more than that.
Sorry, but you're not clearing up anything. these are just assertions that you don't back up in any way. There is not even a 'debate' about apple silicon RAM, we're just sharing our experiences; you could share yours; that would be more helpful. And there are tons of Vis that don't use much RAM at all. Shape up!

I've used both 8 and 16GB M1s and they fill up pretty good both of them, you don't 'decide' what goes into memory; and that's a good thing. It administrates itself differently with different sizes and conditions.
Old 08-17-2022, 08:07 AM

A common misunderstanding about sample-based VIs is the assumption that a 1 GB instrument must load 1GB into RAM in order to be used. The better designed ones will load as much as needed to avoid glitches and stream as much as possible direct from disk. A system with a spinning disk will need more RAM than one with a SSD. A system with a fast SSD on a fast internal bus will need less RAM than a system with a mediocre external SSD plugged into a USB2 port.

So one reason M1/2 can in some cases get by with less RAM, even when using sample-based VIs, is that the RAM and internal SSD are integrated so closely and efficiently with the CPU. But add a large library on an external drive, and how much RAM you need may depend on the quality and health of that drive.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 09-12-2022, 03:09 AM

So has anyone had a chance to test PT with the new M2 MacBook Air? Avid actually told me it’s not compatible yet but wondering if anyones given it a go!

Cheers!