How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Most affordable mixer for PT9?

Hello,
I currently have an Mbox mini, but would like to get a mixer, not made by digidesign, but another one compatible with PT9 at an affordable price. any suggestions?
thanks!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Most affordable mixer for PT9?

Why do you want to get a mixer?

What problem are you faced with that you feel a mixer might solve?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-25-2010, 06:51 PM

i need more than one mic input and feel like it is much easier for me to edit with a physical mixer
Old 11-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Mixer? or control surface? There is a notable difference, and thats the control surface controls the DAW. i.e. move a fader on the control surface, it will move on the daw. A mixer does not do this, the faders only control the input level.

That said, mixers can be found for between 100 and 200 from behringer for 8 channels. This will be useless to you since you've only got an Mbox mini (unless you place on summing all the inputs to 2 channels).

Control surfaces are very expensive, although can be had from behringer for about 250. Its a very primitave control surface, with 8 faders, solo, mute, and some rotery encoders. Very cheap, and the faders are loud.

To be quite honest, they look cool, and its fun to watch the faders move, but dont get a control surface until you actually need one. Once you get big sessions, things are time critical, and you need to impress clients, then get one

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 PM

I go to a performing arts high school for music production and i'm trying to set up a home studio. i don't know if i need a control surface. at school i use a 003 with pro tools 8. i don't need anything this nice but would like to make some quality recordings and i need more than one mic input.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 PM

simple, try this...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Onyx1620i/
Old 11-25-2010, 07:12 PM

would this work? http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...xer?sku=500316
Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoluke View Post
it should...
Old 11-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Most normal mixers (unless they double as firewire interfaces) give you more mic pres, but they aren't going to let you track more than the number of inputs on your interface. If you have an Mbox Mini, I believe you have 2 inputs. You're still going to be limited to 2 things at once, or one stereo track at once. If you need more ins, you need an interface with more ins.

If you want to have a hardware unit to mix on (but still be mixing in the box) then you want a control surface as well.

So you basically want two different things, unless you go with a Digi 003 or something. That'll do both jobs for you.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
Most normal mixers (unless they double as firewire interfaces) give you more mic pres, but they aren't going to let you track more than the number of inputs on your interface. If you have an Mbox Mini, I believe you have 2 inputs. You're still going to be limited to 2 things at once, or one stereo track at once. If you need more ins, you need an interface with more ins.

If you want to have a hardware unit to mix on (but still be mixing in the box) then you want a control surface as well.

So you basically want two different things, unless you go with a Digi 003 or something. That'll do both jobs for you.
mandoluke... ignore this guy.... what you last posted will fill your needs...