Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 AM

Default Signal Generator?!!!

Try this at your studio:

Make a stereo track, route it to your console's two channels, panned hard left&right. Insert a signal generator in PT. Set it on 1kHz sine. Watch the phase. Try lowering the frequency, observing the phase. At 1kHz, it's completely out of phase, while lowering the frequency fixes this.

I bussed the track internally, and recorded to another track. Still out of phase. Now switch to square wave, it'll be in phase. Internal bussing proved that I had no hardware/cabling problems, so this is an internal bug.

Now, Digi, I'm accustomed to using signal generator for calibrating/checking my equipment. But it's hardly possible with an 1kHz sine wave which is out of phase.

Please fix this.

Amek 9098i 72ch, HD3, G5
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Signal Generator?!!!

A well known fact that multiple instances of the signal generator have a random phase relationship. A stereo signal generator insert will be two instances. Only use a single mono instance and buss it as required if you are going to be setting levels for anything that is going to sum.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM

On the topic of signal generators, using the one with Pro Tools, is it possible to create a sine sweep from 20Hz to 20kHz? I've generally had to go elsewhere for this need.

Curious,

schwabbl

www.schwabmusic.com
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 AM

You could automate it, but unfortunately it clicks when moving up. So I guess that's a no!

Timothy
Old 11-01-2007, 08:05 AM

Its the same theory as if you had multiple oscillators on your Amek. When you use the console's oscillator, you generally use one patch and run the tone through busses. Do the same in PT.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:06 AM

Yes, of course, I understand that...

But, I see this as a bug, or at least something that's overseen. The problem is that this happens only when you generate a sine wave. Square wave is in phase, as well as pink noise. Now, is that normal?

Anyway, Digi could throw out the multiple mono version, because it can cause confusion to some people. Just imagine checking through all the cables and every module, tape return just to realize that the problem is in the generator?! And just on the sine wave?!

Amek 9098i 72ch, HD3, G5