Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Default Re: (-6101) CPU Overload Error

As it turns out the MyBook was formatted to FAT 32, the Maxtor isn't even mounting under Leopard, which seems to be a major issue that those guys are going through. Again though, the Maxtor wouldn't work with this in Tiger either.

I'm pulling off all the files from the MyBook and will reformat and then try again.

As it stands when I try to enable the drive for recording I get an error that reads that the drive isn't a valid audio drive.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:45 PM

yup that's the issue. Format to Mac OS Extended Journaled. Chose the erase option to write zeros to the drive, it takes a while, but is a more thorough cleaning. Otherwise some of the previous files will still live on the drive until they are actually overwritten.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:00 PM

This more or less worked. I say less because post formatting to HFS I still have issues recording more than 6 instrumental tracks. For some reason with vocal tracks I can keep going and going...so at least that is new. I can always create a 6 track instrumental session, bounce out, re-import to a new session etc.

Thanks to all who helped. I was mistaken to assume that a Mac-specific MyBook would be formatted to HFS (considering it advertises Mac on the box). Glad to get things working again!
Old 07-03-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
This more or less worked. I say less because post formatting to HFS I still have issues recording more than 6 instrumental tracks. For some reason with vocal tracks I can keep going and going...so at least that is new. I can always create a 6 track instrumental session, bounce out, re-import to a new session etc.

Thanks to all who helped. I was mistaken to assume that a Mac-specific MyBook would be formatted to HFS (considering it advertises Mac on the box). Glad to get things working again!
Glad it worked out.

What plugins are on these 6 instrumental tracks? If you have 6 cpu intensive plugs, and are running at a low buffer setting then I could see why this would cause a cpu error.

J
Old 07-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Nope, high buffer setting still, 1024.

I have Amplitube 2 on two tracks, the rest just have the standard Pro Tools compression plug-in on them. Is that really that intensive of a plug-in?
Old 07-03-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Nope, high buffer setting still, 1024.

I have Amplitube 2 on two tracks, the rest just have the standard Pro Tools compression plug-in on them. Is that really that intensive of a plug-in?
Well, it could have something to do with only having 1GB RAM, which is not a lot to be running Pro Tools and 2 Amplitube instances. So, you said you have compression plugs on the other instrument tracks? Are these instrument tracks as in analog instruments recorded with mics, or are these PT Instrument Tracks (midi and Aux all in one)?

Also, how did you end up connecting your interface and external HD?

How
Old 07-03-2008, 01:27 PM

The instrumental tracks were either recorded direct (line-in) or via mic depending on the instrument. None of them are MIDI.

As for connecting the interface to my HD, I was unable to do the Maxtor as apparently their software isn't compatible with Leopard (it was with Tiger). That's something Maxtor is supposedly working to remedy. For the MyBook I took everything off, reformatted to HFS, and Pro Tools instantly recognized it in workspace as a record enabled drive. I connect that via firewire (the MacBook's right USB port is relatively useless, so even if I felt like going the slower route I don't think it's enough to power the MyBook).

The good news is that this setup is workable where my previous setup was not. I can at least get a good amount of music recorded, mix, bounce out, import in, add more, etc.

As for the gig of ram, that bothers me quite a bit, it's been more than enough for intensive video editing and the music programs I've used in the past have just flown by (Pro Tools was a matter of preference). I know the value of ram to media, but 6 tracks? Really? Oh well, like I said at least I can get things moving and that's a big step! I just didn't realize how much of a resource hog Amplitube2 was.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The instrumental tracks were either recorded direct (line-in) or via mic depending on the instrument. None of them are MIDI.

As for connecting the interface to my HD, I was unable to do the Maxtor as apparently their software isn't compatible with Leopard (it was with Tiger). That's something Maxtor is supposedly working to remedy. For the MyBook I took everything off, reformatted to HFS, and Pro Tools instantly recognized it in workspace as a record enabled drive. I connect that via firewire (the MacBook's right USB port is relatively useless, so even if I felt like going the slower route I don't think it's enough to power the MyBook).

The good news is that this setup is workable where my previous setup was not. I can at least get a good amount of music recorded, mix, bounce out, import in, add more, etc.

As for the gig of ram, that bothers me quite a bit, it's been more than enough for intensive video editing and the music programs I've used in the past have just flown by (Pro Tools was a matter of preference). I know the value of ram to media, but 6 tracks? Really? Oh well, like I said at least I can get things moving and that's a big step! I just didn't realize how much of a resource hog Amplitube2 was.
What maxtor software are you talking about? A hard drive is a hard drive, maybe you need to format it and erase the junk software that might have come on the drive.

J
Old 07-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Sorry, perhaps software was the wrong term. Basically a lot of people, myself included, can't get their Maxtor drives to mount under Leopard. This wasn't a problem under Tiger, but Maxtor is looking into it.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:20 AM

i have the same issue with playback of one midi track with one stereo. aux channel of sampletank 2 xl....on my dual 2.2ghz macbook
logic is fine with me writing midi/recording/playing back audio but if i just only want to sequence a bit of midi in pro tools i still need to buy a second hard drive?