Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Future Pro Tools Version Could Be Software Only!

Hello. OK the headline is a little misleading, but then again headlines usually are. For those of you not aware, Digidesign has put out a survey about their Mbox line. In it they are proposing three 'imaginary' future products. These are copied from the survey:

"Mbox Tiny"
- Half the size of an Mbox Mini
- Features 1/8” mini stereo output and 1/4” mono line/DI input (but no mic pre)
- Up to 48kHz/24-bit professional sound on par with Mbox 2
- Output level, monitor/mix, and input level knobs
- Powered by USB 1.1
- Includes the latest version of Digidesign Pro Tools LE, but with no additional features besides the standard DigiRack plug-in set. It has no Factory option.

"Mbox Stick" (USD$249)
- Very small, about the size of a USB flash memory stick, and plugs directly into your computer's USB port
- Features one 1/8" stereo output and no inputs (playback only)
- Up to 48kHz/24-bit professional sound on par with Mbox 2
- Volume control wheel and status LED located next to output jack
- Powered by USB 1.1
- Includes the latest version of Digidesign Pro Tools LE, but with no additional features besides the standard DigiRack plug-in set. It has no Factory option.

"Mbox Hidden"
- Does not feature any hardware but instead houses Pro Tools LE directly on your computer without requiring any connected hardware
- Uses the soundcard on your machine's motherboard for playback of audio up to 48kHz and 24 bits. Note that Digidesign cannot guarantee that this output will result in professional-level audio quality.
- Cannot accept audio input, even if your soundcard features input(s)
- Connecting your computer to another LE device will expand the above capabilities to those of the new hardware while the device remains connected

As you can see, they have some severe limitations. The reason I posted this in the TDM forum is because I know there is interest in being able to run Pro Tools away from the studio, whether that's hardware free or with a very small dongle. However these proposed scenarios from Digidesign would make most TDM sessions unusable with that software because of plug ins, track count, sample rate, etc. However when you take the survey they do ask if you want to be able to run third party plug ins. I believe there are also questions on the survey where you can tell them that although you are ineterested in a product like this the current offerings severely limit you, or something to that effect.

I took the survey and pointed out to them that I do need to run third party plug ins. I thought there may be some interest in this neck of the woods in letting Digidesign know that there is interest in something like this, but that it doesn't go far enough as proposed. I have said it many times before, as well as others have but it bears repeating, that Digidesign should do something like the Indigo card from Echo Audio. The Stick version that is proposed here is similar to that.

It's also my opinion that Digidesign has already done the Stick version or is thinking about doing the Stick version and is only putting the Tiny and Hidden options to gauge how much response there would be for the Stick. I don't think Digidesign will ever release a software only version of Pro Tools. When they released Pro Tools Free it was promptly hacked beyond its 8 track limit and this was why they never offered it again. You can rest assured if they ever offered a version of Pro Tools not dependant on hardware that it would promptly be hacked and cracked, so I don't think they will ever seriously consider doing it. The Tiny version is essentially an MboxMini, which they already have so why bother. That's why I think the Stick version is really what they have in mind and are using this survey to find out where customers stand. You will also notice that in this list the Stick version is the only one with a proposed retail price.

Here is the link for the survey just click on the 'Enter to Win an Mbox 2 Mini' part of the DigiNews page.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 AM

Default Re: Future Pro Tools Version Could Be Software Only!

I don't care. I want more DSP power!
Old 09-05-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I took the survey and pointed out to them that I do need to run third party plug ins. I thought there may be some interest in this neck of the woods in letting Digidesign know that there is interest in something like this, but that it doesn't go far enough as proposed. I have said it many times before, as well as others have but it bears repeating, that Digidesign should do something like the Indigo card from Echo Audio. The Stick version that is proposed here is similar to that.
The way I read it is that it doesn't come with any extra plug-ins, not that you can't use extra plug-ins if you have them. One question on the survey specifically asked about the need for iLok for other plug-ins.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 AM

I also took it to mean that there would basically be no ignition pack included, rather than it wouldn't run 3rd party plugins.

I was assuming that the survey was asking about whether or not one always used iLok authorized plugins to gauge whether or not to make "Hidden" iLok authorized.

I personally avoid taking iLoks out of the studio like the plague - though I can see that it could actually work out cheaper to replace a loaded iLok than a lost "Stick".
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Hello. I agree with your comments. I think they may have purposely worded things ambigously or vaguely so as not to tip their hand. There is definitely a question which asks about the use of third party plug ins, which means that the user would need to have the iLok present somehow, whether it's with the Stick or Hidden version. I reiterate however that I don't think they are seriously considering ever releasing the Hidden version but are using it for the purposes of this survey.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Mbox Stick would be cool, but with USb 2.0, ok?

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 PM

No 96K support. Not good at all.

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 13.6.6 Ventura,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3.1, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I reiterate however that I don't think they are seriously considering ever releasing the Hidden version but are using it for the purposes of this survey.
I think you are right. They asked about pricing on the Mbox Stick so it seems like that is the product they are most seriously considering. They might just be trying to gauge what people are willing to pay for it and if most people would be satisfied with that solution. I wouldn't even be surprised if its almost ready to go and they announce it at AES.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
No 96K support. Not good at all.
In as much as almost anything made in the last few years can do 192KHZ/24 Bit with the actual motherboard audio chipset this is actually a good argument for "Hidden" your sample rate for playback would be limited only by your hardware.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 AM

By sunburst79
Quote:
...your sample rate for playback would be limited only by your hardware.
Hello. Actually if you read the specs listed for all three choices you will see that Digidesign would limit the software to 48 Khz in all instances.