Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:41 AM

Default GIVE US DELAY COMPENSATION IN PT-LE!!!!!

Why don't we have some rudimentary form of delay compensation in PT-LE? Come on, it can't be that difficult to do. I'm not asking for what PT-HD can do. After all, I don't want to see the native performance of LE drop. But it's about time that LE had something in the way of delay comp.

Here's my take on how delay compensation should work in LE:

First, all audio tracks should be advanced in playback the amount of reported delay with the ability to add manual compensation values also. To explain, there should be an ADC window on every track just like in HD. If the plug-in delay on a track is x samples, then PT should advance the playback of that track x samples to compensate for the delay. Simple. This should be accomplishable with zero impact on the host processor. At the very least, LE should be able to do this.

Second, all aux tracks and master faders should have built in delay that is used for compensating. Yes, this takes a hit on the host processor, but no more than using the delay comp plug-ins. And if it were able to be defeated on a track by track basis, then it doesn't have to be on where it's not needed. This built-in delay should also be assignable to a group. In other words, delay groups much like mix groups or mute groups. Say I have eight submixes running and I assign them all to a common delay group. The one aux in the group with the most delay sets the max for the group and all the others are delayed as much as needed to stay in time. MIDI tracks could also be assignable to the delay groups.

Third, here's the real sticky issue. How to compensate for delay on an aux send on an audio track? If the capability were added to audio tracks to add delay post-aux send, then the audio track and the aux send track could both also be assigned to a common delay group. The reported delay on the aux send track could also advance playback of the audio track, but then the post aux send delay on the audio track could keep it in time with the aux send track.

I realize that this may be a simplistic way of looking at it, and that there are probably lots of situations where this wouldn't work out as expected. But to not give us something just because it can't be as good as what's in HD is really short-sighted and displays a lack of being able to see the big picture. So many other native DAWs offer some kind of delay compensation, PT-LE should too.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-23-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: GIVE US DELAY COMPENSATION IN PT-LE!!!!!

bump

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 04-23-2007, 10:39 PM

bump 2

Old 04-23-2007, 11:56 PM

This post looks familiar
Old 04-24-2007, 12:44 AM

The more you beg for it, the more you tell them you won't go to the competition even if they don't provide it.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:08 AM

Has Digi ever "officially" stated why there is no delay comp in LE? I'm assuming, like everyone else that it's a marketing issue, but it would be nice for Digi to finally put it all to rest and just tell us either.."We aren't doing it because X, or we can"t do because Y, or whatever! That way, it seems, everyone would be well aware that either they don't want to compromise HD sales, or that it isn't possible in the LE platform. I just can't believe they can sit back, watch everyone beg for it, and not say SOMETHING! I'm ok with whatever they would say, just let everyone KNOW, so that everyone can stop BEGGING for it! I don't think that's unreasonable. How about this:

Official statement from Digi:

"Thank you for your interest in delay compensation for the LE platform. At this time, we have no interest or desire in compromising our HD sales by bridging the gap ever closer between the 2 systems. Please stop asking for it, as it takes up precious bandwith on the DUC. Thanks."
Old 04-24-2007, 06:55 AM

I just switched to using all the McDSP plugins and a few choice others , that all have zero latency, hence no need for ADC with 0 latency plugins.

Problem solved, Have a great day!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:20 AM

So many opinions about this topic and I think that everyone will agree that ADC will be a great addition to the software, but I will not touch this with a 10ft pole because some people don’t understand that DIGI is a business and not a nonprofit organization. Yes other DAW's may offer this, but they are not PT.

I believe that everyone's problem will be answered with a "PTLE-PRO". I believe that DIGI will create this in order to bridge the gap between LE and HD. Also to compete with the other DAW's that certain people are so in love with. This does not happen over night...give some time.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:26 PM

It would be nice to incorparate the input monitoring like the tdm systems So you monitor the input all the time instead of arming and un arming every time you want to hear the playback. Might be a stupied ?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Quote:
It would be nice to incorparate the input monitoring like the tdm systems So you monitor the input all the time instead of arming and un arming every time you want to hear the playback. Might be a stupied ?
ALT + K switches this for you.
If you are talking about DIRECT monitoring than that is a different story.

Delay comp would be awesome. But I am more for PTLE Native, where you get Pro Tools, THE FULL VERSION, that does not need any dedicated DSP chips other than your host cpu. I run a quad opteron, and have never hit max with it, with 8 cores here, there is no need to have DSP chips. It is so 1999

Has anyone ever done a null test with a TDM plug, and an RTAS plug?

I'm out.

Kris
May the music move you
Closed Thread