How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Plug-ins that are \"Total Perfection\"

This should be fun...

I have some favorite plug-ins that I think are absolutely perfect at what they do. I was hoping to start a post wherein we might disclose those plug-ins that we invariably go to for their ability to do what they're supposed to with the highest and most notable degree of excellence.

I'll start by listing a few that just blow mind for their infinite usefulness and robust charater.

The Massey CT4 compressor is simply the best compressor I've ever used for Bass guitar. It's so delicate and taseful but so firm at the same time. Sometimes it makes me clench my jaw at how wonderfully it transforms a bass part. And you wouldn't even know it was there if you didn't look at it! The bass part is just suddenly louder, better, and more "even" with a far better flavor. Simply put: perfection. Way to go Massey! Runners up include the BF1176 and Smack - but Massey is a clear winner!

I also love the Digi 7-band EQ. I have quite a few other EQs but I always come back to the Digi 7-band EQ3. It's quite light on system resources and exceptionally easy to use. I love the drag and click aproach to the sonic spectrum. I also love the high pass and low pass features built into it. Simply put - perfection. It's probably the plug-in I use the most. It invariably gets put on almost every track in my mix.

Disagree or agree? Have others that you think are pure perfection? Please post and turn the rest of us on to them.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 03-31-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Plug-ins that are \"Total Perfection\"

george yohng w1 limiter (vst)
kjaerhus audio classic series (vst)
christian knufinke sir (vst)
roger nichols inspector
izotope ozone

except for ozone they are free (ozone is cheap) and work not worse (or better) than paid or exxxxtremely expensive counterparts.

I WILL NEVER PAY WAVES.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:42 PM

Couldn't agree more about those Kjaerhus plugs. What a dream. They have the same feel as plugs that cost $400-$1000. I think they're probably the best suite of free plugs I've discovered available online. I'm especially nuts about the chorus.

The waves plugs sound really good especially with regard to phasing. I agree with you that I would never spend the money. However, when "others" have deep pockets, I'm quite willing to jump in.

Beta bugs has an L1 ultramaximizer that is supposed to mimic the L1 perfectly. It doesn't work on my system so I relent to the George Yohng version. It's not as pretty looking as the original - but at the cost savings, it's very near a perfect plug-in.

So I must also offer another "perfect" app...

FXpansion's VST to RTAS converter. It gives us access to all those VSTs. Without it, this post would be pointless. So it doesn't work with every VST. Perhaps it's not utterly "perfect" but for what it does - it opens my world to endless possibilties. I agree. It's the best $99 I've ever spent. I'd recommend it above any other ProTools purchase. Buy an Mbox then buy VST2RTAS converter. It's core to a system.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0
Old 04-02-2007, 03:26 AM

Sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't think there is any plug-in I would call perfect. Favourites though are Massey tape-head and Flux Solera... Best damn dynamic plug-in I've ever tried, it works like dynamics should but there are bugs in it. With those gone I'm not sure I'll ever use another dynamic plug-in.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM

Another vote here for the VST to RTAS converter. I got one on Ebay for $50 and now I can use almost every VST I can find on the web. There's hundreds, some of them are great and most of them are free. I have so many on my "wrapped" menu it is almost ridiculous ....
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 AM

just demo-ed the Kjaerhus MPL-1pro precision mastering limiter damn i was blown away this plug in is amazing!!!!it doesn't distort even if u push it really hard. i mite just purchase this one...i have 2 favorite limiters now the MPL-1pro and the massey L2007 limiter.

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the recommendation guys, I just downloaded the free suite from Kjaerhus. These are easily the best plugins for limiting, compression and chorusing that I have now. Can't wait to spend some more time with them and the others. THANKS!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 PM

Perfect plugins? Well there are many great plugins outhere. Although I try to stay focused on my production itself and I try most of the time to not use too many plugins at the same time. But still, here are few amazing ones I just can't avoid each time I produce. Like:

Quad Frohmage: a real nasty filter beast. You can not only filter your sounds in subtility to give warmth and depth, but also totally destroy, squash and morph your sounds with it.
Here: http://www.ohmforce.com/ViewCategory...tegory=Effects

iZotope Trash: to... Well, trash your sounds. Overdrive, distortion, retro bit aliasing, it's all there. A powerfull tool to add dirt, corrosion, and color to your drums, guitars, synth lines or in fact any of your sounds.
Here: http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/trash/

Just to name a few of course!!

Drone / Ambient / Experimental
Old 10-13-2007, 11:02 PM

this thread died

Look at this guy bio and plugs. Ask him for the Broadcast Processor. Or download, donate and demand. I've got the old (slightly broken) one.

http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/audio_vst.htm

Oh, it's XP VST again, sorxx
Old 10-14-2007, 10:30 AM

I've been using Ferox lately. It's listed on that website you linked. I can't say it's perfection - but I think I like it better than Massey's Tapehead. I use Ferox on Bass guitar and snare. It's a dran good plug-in.
Mbox2/MboxMicro
ProTools 8.0