Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Hey editors! Nostromo game pad!

Quote:

Fairlight makes one (Xynergy) but all these third party boxes (have to) rely on HUI-protocol...

frank.
Yes, I know that, but HUI protocol is so limited. I thought about something more "hard-wired" to the PT, so I could map every PT's command and even series of commands (e.g. AudioSuite->Gain-> +10dB or selected track to medium size and volume trim view) to one key. Or map the key for one function only, like switch to the trim tool (but not scrub trim, not TCEX trim and not loop trim).
It also should be very ergomonical, so your hands wouldn't feel tired after a 12-hours of work day.
I would also like not to use the mouse so often, but also other knobs, buttons, wheels, so the possibility of having carpentel tunnel syndrom after 10 years of hard work would not be obvious...

best,
Kuba
Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM

This things looks pretty cool, I am going to check it out.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 AM

Alright.... I went to Best Buy last night, bought one, got it up and running at home with PTLE 7.1 on my PowerBook G4. In a half hour I was hooked. So I brought it to my office only to discover....

I can't get it to work on an Intel Mac. I found Belkin's download page with a link for Mac Intel OSX driver but the link was broken. The Nostromo Array software that worked so well on a PowerMac won't see the device on an IntelMac.

Ideas? Are any of you using it on a Mac Pro with PTHD?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 AM

Once you program your keystrokes on the Nostromo, is it easy to export/import your custom set up it so that when you work on another system, you can quickly configure the new computer/Nostromo set up without having to manually re-enter all your programming?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM

There is a driver, and the driver works. We installed it in a intel g5 here a the studio. Too bad though the link was broken. There is probably another way to get it on the net.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:47 PM

it looks pretty great. i use the trackball with my left hand, though, so I don't think i can use this. Bummer. I am always looking to get more "one witht the machine".

www.tompaul.com
Old 10-19-2007, 06:34 PM

anyone seen this keyboard?
Timber Wolf

it would take some getting use

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-20-2007, 09:18 AM

I think its worth mentioning that there are several of us here that work on many different systems and it is simply not practical for us to rely on a separate non-standard device. Sometimes I will bring a keyboard but it is out of the question to bring anything that requires a driver. I would love a digi designed device like you describe with importable user settings, but I would be reluctant to get something that most studios don't have or that wouldn't be easy to plug in. Its hard enough dealing with people's weird track ball settings, or single button mouse.

Just my take.

Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
Bendy
http://bendymusic.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bendymusic
Old 10-20-2007, 10:35 AM

I'd love to see some screenshots of how you guys have configured your Nostromo pads to get ideas for how best to use it.

Also, I'm wondering if there is some preference doc that you can bring with you to install on another computer if you want to import your settings without having to reprogram them.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see some screenshots of how you guys have configured your Nostromo pads to get ideas for how best to use it.

Also, I'm wondering if there is some preference doc that you can bring with you to install on another computer if you want to import your settings without having to reprogram them.
You can create and name setups for the nostromo. It stores all your settings in a little file that you can drag everywhere, put on USB key whatever. Just leave one on each computer in the studio, and load it before you work.

I'll write later for tips on configuring the Nostromo...