Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2000, 01:47 AM

Default Help! PT Guru\'s! SPDIF, DIGITAL SYNC &v 3.2!!!~

Dear Group,

I am at wits end now as I have read the archives and have realized that I have probably some how screwed up my system...

Great! Just when I'm getting started! I can't afford a G4 or any expensive Digi cards/interfaces...

?Here is the scoop:

I am running ProTools 3.2 on a NuBus 442card enhanced PowerMac 7100/80
(I know don't laugh! it's paid for! and it usually works great!!!!)

The problem lies in trying to use my Tascam DA-P1 DAT machine to SPDIF out to my 442 DIGI card IN...with PT 3.2...I have set the right parameters...

And the Digital SYNC is an issue...when I select digital input...it automatically changes the sync to Digital///

When I try to use the system it gives me an error message of :

YOur Hardware may not be receiving sync! (What is this?)

I then changed the sync to INTERNAL and I get NO signal from my DAT machine!~

HELP!!!!!!

I am confused!

And to make matters worse! I have upgraded to OS 8.6 from 7.3.1 OS (the orig OS when I bought the system with ProTools) and also I am currently using this computer with my cable modem./..

I used it with REAL AUDIO.com....files...and streaming sites for a couple of days.....
I noticed that just on a whim I tried to open PT...and while I had been using the interface for REAL AUDIO it gave me a message: The interface is not present or is being used by another app///

So when I changed into PT mode...I was sure to change my extensions set!@!!!!!Back to the prior set...

This works with everything except this DAMN SPDIF / digital sync stuff...
WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING???
I am confused as if I should get my DAT checked for problems as I get no signal from the SPIDF outs when I hooked it through my mixer to check if it was the DAT...Shouldn't I get a digital (SMPTE like) signal? like SMPTE?

DID I BLOW MY DAT USING IT AS An AUDIO RECEIVER(HEADPHONES) FROM THE NET???
REALAUDIO etc.?????

AS NOw THE SPIDIF doen;t work...nor sync...to my MAC.///

I used it before with an AVID and the SPIDIF did work!!!!

HELP!!!

What next?
Old 05-23-2000, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Help! PT Guru\'s! SPDIF, DIGITAL SYNC &v 3.2!!!~

---"I get no signal from the SPIDF outs when I hooked it through my mixer to check if it was the DAT...Shouldn't I get a digital (SMPTE like) signal? like SMPTE?"---
No, it won't sound like SMPTE at all. An SPDIF signal playing into an analog line input on your mixer will sound like a low-level white noise, but something should be audible. (Don't turn the volume up too far in order to protect your tweeters!)

Double check your cable?
Old 05-23-2000, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Help! PT Guru\'s! SPDIF, DIGITAL SYNC &v 3.2!!!~

It's the Tascam S/PDIF.
Tascam does not adhere to the same specification that the rest of the world does. Pro Tools had a special check box for Tascam S/PDIF but only starting in v.4.x.
Sorry for the bad news.