Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Operating system held off interrupts too long

Hello I would very much like it if someone could explain to me how set up my OS so i would not get these messages. On several occasions on processing mixes with bussing Rtas i have gotten these messages. "The operating system held off interrupts too long. If this occurs too often try increasing the H/W buffer size in the hardware set up Panel(-9094". Then after trying to make some adjustments I would get my next message "Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often try Reducing the buffer size in the hardware set up panel (-9129)".
I would appreciate any answer I could get
Thanks
Old 11-07-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Operating system held off interrupts too long

There is no simple answer.
Maybe if you describe what hardware you're running (CPU, motherboard, drives, ram, firewire card), what Digi system, what OS version, and details about the session that fails, somebody can make a suggestion.

Old 11-07-2003, 03:40 PM

Quote:
There is no simple answer.
Maybe if you describe what hardware you're running (CPU, motherboard, drives, ram, firewire card), what Digi system, what OS version, and details about the session that fails, somebody can make a suggestion.

You are right I am sorry about that I was about to run out when I wrote this and realize i left out the details. Well I have Digi 001 protools le 5.3.1. running on windows XP. I actually had this computer built especially for running musical softwares and all I run on it is Protools. (I do have a Korg Karma software on the system but I dont use it). The computer is 40 Gigabytes with an 80 gigabyte out board Glyph Firewire Drive. The computer also has an Asus motherboard, AGP Graphics Card, Intel Pentium 111 processor, DVD drive. 512 MB of Memory. I dont have any swap fles that "I" configured. I also have an IBM 7gig computer, 128MB OS system Windows ME which Networks this computer. For My mix I have 1 stereo channel and 6 mono channel. I dont have much line plugin or bussing on the channels except for an outboard Alesis effects proc. and a RTAS compressor bussed to vocals and one other channel and Autotune the "biggest crasher of them all" over vocals (Line Plugin). just opening Autotune period crashes my computer. But before I had Autotune I got a lot of "Operating System held off for too many interrupts". I havent really been doing any real mixing and I am ready to start mixing a song but I cant go forward because with this minimum plugins i am having too many HELD OFF INTERRUPTS problem. So I am unable to add any more plugins or add any more bussses, Or do anything at all period. Hope this is enough info

Thanks for any help any one can give
Old 11-07-2003, 03:56 PM

Theres lots of stuff to check. Firstly, make sure disk allocation is set to 10 minutes and not "all available space". Turn off virus detector. OPen task manager and see what processes are runnung - see if disabling any resource hungry apps helps. Try this first. You'll get more help soon from others.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-07-2003, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Theres lots of stuff to check. Firstly, make sure disk allocation is set to 10 minutes and not "all available space". Turn off virus detector. OPen task manager and see what processes are runnung - see if disabling any resource hungry apps helps. Try this first. You'll get more help soon from others.
Thank you very much. I did everything you suggested, but I still have the same problem. On this particular song I get The interrupt message in the same spot every time. In addition to that When the volume is low to whereas the channels are barely audible its fine but the moment i raise them thats when i also get the message "Operating system held off interrupts too long". (Though these are not always the only cases) I am just pinpointing whats happening now. I know it has something to do with how much processing power i am using up. but I dont think I am using up that much since i have minimum plugins and no overabundance of tracks.

Thanks again for your comments

Old 11-07-2003, 06:22 PM

place the System Usage meter on screen. Its in Windows drop down. You will get an idea of whats being used up. Also keep an eye on task manager window in XP - processes and monitor the problem It may tell you whats up.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 11-07-2003, 07:33 PM

What CPU and what speed? If it's really a Pentium III, it might not be up to the task. Also, verify that your hard drive (or drives) use DMA.

If you're right on the edge of not having enough CPU, moving the mouse to change the volume will likely cause errors, especially if you have 'show window contents when dragging' enabled.

Old 11-08-2003, 10:14 AM

Quote:

place the System Usage meter on screen. Its in Windows drop down. You will get an idea of whats being used up. Also keep an eye on task manager window in XP - processes and monitor the problem It may tell you whats up.

I almost never not have my "system usage on screen up." On this particular mix that I was working on, in playback mode the sytem usage was around 15% the PCI around 45% and the CPU around 35% I was using 1 Dverb and 1 compressor Protools RTAS Plug-in, bussed to vocals and one other channel with Auto-tune as a line plug-in on vocals and barely audible volume. This is an error I got: Prootools has caused an error protools will now close. However before I close the window I check to see what caused the error and this it how it reads:- APP Name: Protools. exe. APP ver 5.3.1 345 Mod name: Auto-tune rtas DC. V3. d pm mod ver. 0.0.0.0 offset: 00011883.

I thought i would only get crashes if the cpu is above 65% since this is the default value on the playback engine. What were occasional errors has become constant due to Auto-tune. I have plugged out Autotune and I am not having any problems so far but I still have the minimum of plug-ins.

I have written to Antares about the crashes but have not received a reply yet. I was hoping that someone here at the DUC might be able to give me some insight into what is going on. i want to be able to use Auto-tune in my mix and as many plug-ins as my DSP should allow as opposed to what I am getting at the moment.

Funny how I had no problems with the trial version of Auto-tune.

Thanks again for your comments

PS: As far as The task that you told me to look at, the only one I see is the scheduled task and I dont have anything scheduled to run. So could you please let me know if there is another and exactly where to find it.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:39 AM

Quote:
What CPU and what speed? If it's really a Pentium III, it might not be up to the task. Also, verify that your hard drive (or drives) use DMA.

If you're right on the edge of not having enough CPU, moving the mouse to change the volume will likely cause errors, especially if you have 'show window contents when dragging' enabled.
The CPU was made by a small computer shop located next to one of the Major Retail Chain seller of Music products and has made many computers for some of the customers that frequented that store.

As far as the Pentium processor is concerned this is what Windows XP system information reads: X86 Family 6 model 8 step 6 GenuineIntel~1005mhz, And the System proprties says Intel pentium III processor 1.01 GHz.

Both drives have DMA configured at 1534 for both. Windows configuration

Thanks very much for your comments
Old 11-08-2003, 12:54 PM

I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but I used to get that message
when I was overdriving my plugins. what I found is if I lowered the input levels so that my plug ins weren't peaking this message went away