Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Top Studios Use HDX/HDN/TDM?

I thought as we are all discussing the validity of PT12 and beyond as well as at times the embracing of HDX in the real world. I randomly picked top recording studios that I have heard about and looked up what they were currently using. I got board, so if anyone would like to add to the list, please do so.

Looking at what I've found below, doesn't look like any of these players for the most part, maybe one, is considering the future Avid strategy. Maybe I'm wrong.

Abbey Road:

7 * Pro Tools systems configured on request from HD1 to HD7
• 2 * Pyramix systems
• 34 * DigiDesign 192s
• 1*AVIDHDIO
• 12 * Prism ADA-8s
• 2 * Prism ADA-8XRs

The Dungeon Studios

* ProTools HD 7.2 Accel 2 with (3) 192 I/O (24 INS, 32 OUTS)

Ocean Way Studio

* ProTools HDX System Version 10
* Avid HD I/Os 48 analog inputs/ 48 analog outputs

Conway Studios

* Pro Tools HD 3- 48 In, 48 Out Avid HD IO (3)

Air Studios

* Digidesign ProTools HD 8

Metropolis Stuiods

* Protools HD3

EastWest Recording Studios

* AVID Protools HD-3 with 48 channels 192 I/O
* Software Version 8, 9 or 10 Available

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Top Studios Use HDX/HDN/TDM?

Barry, they're businesses. They depreciate assets.

And they understand that the DAW choice means nothing with regard to audio quality. That's the rooms, mics, outboard, monitoring, etc.

Why needlessly upgrade the DAW when it'll do nothing to the bottom line? The moment they are kept from their core business, they'll change. The high end has ALWAYS been this way.

I remember when those same studios thought it was below them to have a PT system in the building!! So, as late as they were to get into the DAW world, I'd expect them to be just as late to upgrading.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:43 AM

Drew I don't disagree with anything you just said which is why I find Avid's current situation disconcerting. If some of the top studios on earth don't see value in HDX or latter features of software, shouldn't that tell Avid something?

One thing does ring out that you said. Regarding the late to upgrade, how long has TDM a been out? How long has HDX been out?

We both can agree I imagine regarding the reluctance of accepting Digital. Don't think that had anything to do with upgrade paths once digital had been accepted, even though it was reluctant I have to imagine.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Drew I don't disagree with anything you just said which is why I find Avid's current situation disconcerting. If some of the top studios on earth don't see value in HDX or latter features of software, shouldn't that tell Avid something?
Yet.

HDX is only a few years old. Those TDM systems are still making money for those studios and look good on the balance sheet. Remember, the DAW does NOTHING to the quality of the recording. They're smart, they know this.

When the time comes for them to change, which I suspect we'll start to see in the coming few years, we'll be able to revisit this question.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:17 AM

You're also looking at the dated info posted on their website. I'm sure most of these places are testing PT11.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
You're also looking at the dated info posted on their website. I'm sure most of these places are testing PT11.
I would be very surprised if business of this level were not meticulous about such things. I could be wrong.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Yet.

HDX is only a few years old. Those TDM systems are still making money for those studios and look good on the balance sheet. Remember, the DAW does NOTHING to the quality of the recording. They're smart, they know this.

When the time comes for them to change, which I suspect we'll start to see in the coming few years, we'll be able to revisit this question.
Maybe I'm not doing a good job of making the point. The DAW is relevant due to its comparability with the hardware. I'm pretty confident we all realize that software has nothing to do with sound, well unless you put plugins on, just kidding.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Take the industry as a whole. Not just the smaller music recording sector where many don't want to lose waves, autotune, and many other dsp plugins they rely upon. Especially the tons of HD music recording spots that track thru auto-tune. Clients would be upset.

I could put down a list of post spots that jumped on HDX because of a variety of reasons. One being the track counts are higher per system. Allowing you to satellite less HDX systems than you had to with HD for the same project. For example, one Disney mix stage has (9) HDX2 and (8) HDX1. A smaller operation like Dub Stage has less HDX systems.

There are some spots that are just happy with the current stability of their systems and client base, and have not upgraded past HD8 or HD10. Has nothing to do with hd9, hd10, hdx, etc. Wasn't CLA recently still on Pro Tool 5 on a Mix+ system? Big spots rarely upgrade gear. More of a slow moving tanker analogy.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:03 AM

The problem with this approach is that very few studios have reported getting any new or additional business due to their websites.

They aren't going to spend money keeping a website updated if it's not making them money.

There are a couple of studios on Barry's list I'm not familiar with, but with the rest, I'd bet money the only reason they have a website is because, like many other businesses, they heard, "It's 20xx...you HAVE TO BE ON THE INTERNET!

But a lot of businesses found out they didn't have to be on the Internet, and in fact it's a net negative for a lot of businesses.

And most of them aren't about to throw good money after bad...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 AM

Barry,

Abbey road might not have upgraded their website, many studios are slow to do that, but they did upgrade at least 1 system to HDX

http://www.ctmsolutions.com/www/news...-toolshdx.html

And they also did a webinar with Avid on their decision to upgrade to HDX

http://www.protoolerblog.com/2013/02...at-abbey-road/

Although I can understand why the webinar might not weight as much weight in people's eyes since it was made by Avid.

East west studio 5 is equipped with an HDX system And they do have pt 11 available.

Quote:
EastWest Studios updated their cover photo.
February 6 at 1:44pm · Edited ·

Studio 5 with a 64 Channel Solid State Logic SL 4064 G+ with Ultimation, VU Metering and featuring a customized center section that houses a 26” Apple Cinema Display, Custom Augsperger 2 X 15 mains with TAD components and 18” JBL subwoofers all driven by Bryston amps, a 64 I/O AVID HDX Pro Tools system, Conventional stereo and Hear Technologies cue systems, a choice of Yamaha NS10s, ATC 25s and Pro Acs for nearfield monitors.
https://www.facebook.com/EastWestStu...type=1&theater
http://www.eastweststudios.com/studio5/

Also Conways studio has an HDX system available at request

http://www.conwayrecording.com/download/studioc.pdf

So does Air studios

http://www.airstudios.com/services/post-production/
https://twitter.com/airstudios/statu...09924042719234

Couldn't' find any proper website for Metropolis so can't say what they have.

Wave-T.com