Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Finally!! Tool section of the exact tool you want!

http://protools.ideascale.com/akira/dtd/13096-3779
Old 09-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Ah the flow killa,

I have accidentally selected both 'TCE trim' and 'loop trim' to the point that I have had to reteach myself to slow down and wait before trimming to see if the icon has refreshed or not. Why on earth would anyone need to teach them selfs to slow down is a mystery only DIGI can answer.

I would really love the option to LOCK SELECT only one tool for keyboard shortcuts (like in PT 5) and use the mouse only to switch between TCE/regular/loop/scrub trim tools. This could be as easy as a check box in preferences.

I have tried and failed with the use the loop trim. It is absolutely un-musical, nonfunctional tool. I see no reason to keep it whatsoever. DIGI think about it for a second here - consider proper loops are either grid oriented in music scenario, or use cross fades in other scenarios - leaving the loop trim, well..., out of the loop.

+1 for everything said about:

a) folders or bins in region list

b) custom key commands+user preference files so I can take it with me to any post facility I work at

c) handles on audiosuite + the ability to open more than one AS plugin at a time... I mean common ?! where is that AS target? When working on sound FX I often use AS reverse then gain then render a reverb then pitch shift then reverse again then maybe mondo mod... you get the idea. I would love to be able to keep all these windows open. They don't actually do anything until yo hit process.

I will go 8, and recommend it to all post facilities I work at, that all still use 7.3 or 7.4 once you get a decent build out. From what I've seen so far 7.4.x is still the way to go for stable post system. This isn't in any way surprising to me, as 6.4 was the first 6.x version to go to AFAI was C, so maybe 8.3 or 8.4? seem like it maybe a year from now with the timescale DIGITECHSPRT described. I hope he is wrong.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post
DIGI you must reply :)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:57 PM

For some reason the pop up window on the individual tools can not be "seen" by macro software like Quickeyes.
IF those selection options could be accessed by Quickeys, you could program a shortcut to select the specific tool variation you need...when you needed it.
I dont understand why these windows are invisible to macro software.

I understand new features take a while to become a reality.... but seriously...
The cycling tool disaster has been happening for YEARS!!
Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezking View Post
Just don't hit the relevant tool selector if it's already selected!

Pay attention to which tool is selected.

Arrrgghhh...
some people just dont get it...

That's like saying "just don't sing flat".
Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
Arrrgghhh...
some people just dont get it...

That's like saying "just don't sing flat".
I don't agree with your analogy, but I understand what you're getting at.

I don't get why it was labelled by some as a bug, when it really is not a bug; it's user error. Whether or not it was an oversight in design is a different question.

I do get that you don't like it; I on the other hand have no issues with tool selection. Therefore I'm voicing my opinion on that matter, which is equally as valid as yours.

If tool selection is to be changed it needs to be a preference otherwise plenty of previously happy users will be annoyed...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompers View Post
For some reason the pop up window on the individual tools can not be "seen" by macro software like Quickeyes.
IF those selection options could be accessed by Quickeys, you could program a shortcut to select the specific tool variation you need...when you needed it.
I dont understand why these windows are invisible to macro software
It is possible to program a mouse clicking sequence in QK. You have to build in wait times though, the quickey is very slow. It would be a lot easier if the tools were selectable through a menu.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:

I don't get why it was labelled by some as a bug, when it really is not a bug; it's user error. Whether or not it was an oversight in design is a different question.

I do get that you don't like it; I on the other hand have no issues with tool selection. Therefore I'm voicing my opinion on that matter, which is equally as valid as yours.

If tool selection is to be changed it needs to be a preference otherwise plenty of previously happy users will be annoyed...
Thats exactly my point! Slower users can still use the existing method if they dont need to select an exact tool. They can play the alt tool roulette just like they do now.
As far as your opinion, yes, every opinion is valid. However, my grandmotherr has no issue with the existing tool selection method either. However, I wouldn't consider her having a high level of insight into the matter.

Last edited by Chompers; 09-09-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: mistakes
Old 09-09-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Rost View Post
It is possible to program a mouse clicking sequence in QK. You have to build in wait times though, the quickey is very slow. It would be a lot easier if the tools were selectable through a menu.
Nope. Cant do it. QK WILL NOT see the pop up box that pro tools uses to select those options.
You could use the screen mapping. But then, every session would have to have the windows in the exact same spot on your screen for that to work...so....doesnt work.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Just don't hit the relevant tool selector if it's already selected!

Pay attention to which tool is selected.
3 days to comp guitar track
Old 09-10-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:

It's very easy to make it function either way as a preference to not piss anyone off.