Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2022, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Avid has reopened the sale on reinstatements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
snip . . . are Reinstatements / Get Current / Upgrades back to being permanently available?
I can virtually guarantee that they won't be. Avid are literally banking on that uncertainty for customers. The bean-counters won't allow it.
Otherwise people might just opt out of the annual hostage agreement fees, and only bother to pay for a reinstatement when it looks worthwhile.
This current way Avid get $400 every year from people, and actually have zero obligation to provide anything in return . . . not even information about when an M1 Native code release will be available.

You're better off doing as previously suggested by others, and buying a reinstatement now from a 3rd-party pro audio dealer, and banking it until needed. Don't buy it from Avid, as it will then get activated immediately. The 3rd-party method allows you to use the code at any time in the future.

Your fingernails will thank you.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 07-28-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
I can virtually guarantee that they won't be. Avid are literally banking on that uncertainty for customers. The bean-counters won't allow it.
Otherwise people might just opt out of the annual hostage agreement fees, and only bother to pay for a reinstatement when it looks worthwhile.
This current way Avid get $400 every year from people, and actually have zero obligation to provide anything in return . . . not even information about when an M1 Native code release will be available.

You're better off doing as previously suggested by others, and buying a reinstatement now from a 3rd-party pro audio dealer, and banking it until needed. Don't buy it from Avid, as it will then get activated immediately. The 3rd-party method allows you to use the code at any time in the future.

Until there is an announcement that reinstatement codes will no longer be honoured beyond a certain date.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:27 AM

Don't give them ideas !
Old 07-28-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post

Yes, yes and yes.

I don't mean to be distasteful about the abusive relationship analogy, but the baiting, moving the goalposts, giving impenetrable messages, dangling shiny things then taking them away and leaving you with the feeling that you have no clue what's coming up next and fearful you will get shut out - and so just complying because its easier - doesn't seem like a healthy developer/customer relationship to me.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 08-11-2022, 08:51 PM

I believe Avid is upping their game on customer service and that's why these "Get
Current" plans are being offered.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 08-15-2022, 07:07 PM

Can somebody please tell me if there was a get current offer in April for my 11HD to latest PT Ultimate for $249 and if that has been reinstated? I’m only seeing for $499.

edit: note that I dont have 11 Ultimate, I never knew there was a 11 Ultimate, only 11HD that's what it says I have in My Products, my iLok and my software. I dont have any Avid hardware and never did but I purposely paid the extra at the time to get surround, using my RME cards. All the shops info states "9 Ultimate and above" are eligible! I'm pretty sure there was never a product called 9 Ultimate...wtf? And if my 11HD is actually equal to the non existent 11 Ultimate product what do I lose by getting current? So confusing, like Avid want it to be!

Last edited by bcslaam; 08-15-2022 at 08:13 PM. Reason: extra qu
Old 08-15-2022, 10:12 PM

I think Ultimate started with version 2018, before that it was just HD. The $249 “Get Current” is for what used to be called “Vanilla” and is now called “Studio” which has the surround features you want along with 64 I/O and 512 voices. The HD “Get Current” is like $449 (might be wrong there but close).
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 08-15-2022, 11:22 PM

What's in a name? I don't mind if they start to call the top tier "extreme" or whatever, it is still the full feature product.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:24 PM

Thanks. I thought so and by 2018 it was v12 wasn't it? So there was never 9-11 "Ultimate". Wording in all shops only mentions Ultimate re 9-11.

I have both 12.5 vanilla and 11HD (both expired) and if in some fit of stupidity I decided to pour $ into this racquet, what would you suggest?

512 tracks seems limited. I do post and composition in atmos now in Nuendo and Reaper and would only do it to interface with a particular project upon import/export. Perhaps I should just rent for those occasions only, with another separate subscription license. So long as it doesn't wreck my current ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
What's in a name? I don't mind if they start to call the top tier "extreme" or whatever, it is still the full feature product.
I dont mind what name they choose as long as wording in a shop is correct regarding upgrades and license surrender. They should refer to the actual product name at the time, and the one that is in our MyProduct list.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:15 AM

I would reinstaste the full version.

Why? First of all you don't need to think about limitations. Second, if you choose to sell one of your licenses the license needs to be current for TOO and full version holds more value and is easier to sell.