Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Pro Tools 7.3 Upgrade Nightmare

Well, I took the plunge today, and upgraded (and I use that term loosely) to Pro Tools 7.3.1. Everything was fine on my system; everything worked relatively well enough (I was having a few crashes here and there, but nothing show stopping). I wanted to try some of the new features in 7.3, so I figured I would give it a try.

Big mistake.

Here's the laundry list:

1) My Command 8 would not work in 7.3. Period. No matter what I tried, Pro Tools would not recognize it.

2) If I placed my cursor somewhere on a track, turned pre-roll on, and hit record, it would take a good five seconds for Pro Tools to get its act together and start rolling. Ridiculous.

3) My 192 decided to no longer accept input of any kind. After checking the I/O setup, everything should be working (and my mic pres are receiving a signal).

4) You can resize a track by clicking in the usual place, but don't try that with an instrument track... you have to right-click to bring up the menu.

5) If I changed automation during playback, and saved before I stopped playback, the screen would jump around, and revert to (some kind of) a prior view. For instance, if I was changing volume automation, but had just changed some MIDI automation, I could save, and as soon as I stopped playback, the display would change from volume automation to MIDI automation. Yes, it's confusing.

6) The screen freezes are worse than ever.

These are just the things I noticed in TWO HOURS of use. Of course, not being able to get anything from my 192 was a deal breaker, so I reverted back to 7.2 cs2. It doesn't matter though, because my 192 won't work with 7.2 either now. I'm sure the clients that I have tomorrow will understand. Perhaps they can *will* the audio into Pro Tools.

And before anyone asks, I followed every step in the Troubleshooting Guide posted here on the DUC. I always do. Since these steps have always worked for me, I figured I had nothing to lose.

Except some clients who will go somewhere else to record.

Sorry for the tone, but I'm a little PO'd right now. If anyone has any advice, or can relate and help me through this, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's my system info:

Mac G5 Dual 2.5 GHz
1.5 GB RAM
OS X 10.4.8
Command 8
192 I/O
Sync I/O
(for now) Pro Tools 7.2 cs2

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 7.3 Upgrade Nightmare

Hello Paste Eater,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I have learned that it is not a good idea to upgrade either in the middle of a job or just before one. We like to leave time to make sure the system works. You never know what could happen.

Did you 'Uninstall' Pro Tools 7.2 before you installed 7.3?

-Peter
Old 03-07-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
3) My 192 decided to no longer accept input of any kind. After checking the I/O setup, everything should be working (and my mic pres are receiving a signal).

That is really strange, I had the same thing happen to me and with my 192 after upgrading to 7.3.1cs1 My 192 just shipped back to Digidesign today after talking to tech support and running all of the troubleshooting and unistall and reinstall (Like Rail suggested in my previous posting) The 192 just stopped receiving input, output is working fine and Digitest turned up no problems. Digi thinks the input card went bad and is going to check it out and fix it. You've got me wondering if there is not another problem going on. I will let you know what they find with mine. I shipped it 2nd day and Digi said as soon as they had it repaired they would send it back next day air, so I should have an answer soon. Very odd that 2 of us have had the inputs on our 192s go out at the same time as installing updates.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:39 AM

Hi PasteEater,

I use PT 7.3.1 with Command 8 as well. It works flawlessly except for a few "Monor" bugs that have been listed on this forum umerous times.

Did you do a clean install of protools - if not do so...

Use the Application listed on the top of the DUC forum for mac os x to remove all Digidesign preferences and databases files...

Make sure you are usign compatible plugs ONLY...

Your command 8 not responding seem to be a midi problem as protools is communicating with the C8 thru' midi...

I too am the opinion that 7.3.1 cs 1 should be more stabil than it is right now but my setup which a side from some hardware is similar to yours is 98% steady....

Make yourself a nice cup of cappocino - light that well diserved cigarette and plunge in for a few hours - then I''m sure that you will figure it out...

If not - then be a little more specific about your problems and post again

Good Luck
Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
4) You can resize a track by clicking in the usual place, but don't try that with an instrument track... you have to right-click to bring up the menu.
This is a FEATURE, not a bug...
Old 03-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Peter - Agreed. I should know better than to upgrade right before a job. I *do* know better, but did it anyway. Sigh.

Badboy - This one was really strange, but I figured it out. I use digital inputs for the first 8 inputs on my 192, and for some reason Pro Tools switched them to AES/EBU. Everything else was the same in my setup, *except* for this, which is why I didn't think to check it. So, my entire I/O setup was exactly the same (first 8 inputs were correctly setup to receive in digital inputs 1-8, analog 9-16) but the *form* of the digital input was switched. This is very odd, and has never happened to me before, either from upgrading or deleting prefs (and I opened the same session that I had been working on all day).

25ghosts - I did do a clean install, and I used the new app to clean out my prefs, etc. I have no idea why my Command 8 would not work, but it's working again under 7.2 cs2. I tried everything, including a full uninstall/reinstall.

Jeremy - Yeah, some feature. A bit confusing to say the least.

Thanks everyone for helping me through this, I really do appreciate your help.

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Badboy - This one was really strange, but I figured it out. I use digital inputs for the first 8 inputs on my 192, and for some reason Pro Tools switched them to AES/EBU. Everything else was the same in my setup, *except* for this, which is why I didn't think to check it. So, my entire I/O setup was exactly the same (first 8 inputs were correctly setup to receive in digital inputs 1-8, analog 9-16) but the *form* of the digital input was switched. This is very odd, and has never happened to me before, either from upgrading or deleting prefs (and I opened the same session that I had been working on all day).
Thanks for the update, that is a different situation from mine. My settings are still correct, it's just not receiving input to the 192. So it probably is a bad input card on the 192 that just happened to go out at the same time as I updated. Glad you are getting your stuff figured out, Cheers.