How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2018, 05:56 PM

Default Input Monitoring in PT 2018.7

Hello,

I just upgraded my Mac OS from Mavericks 10.9 to high Sierra 10.13.6.

Now on Mavericks in PT 12.4 when I was recording a track I could hear the input monitor if the green “I” input monitor button was enabled. If not enabled, I would hear silence on the record armed track (granted there was nothing recorded on it before) regardless if the record armed track was recording or in playback. My record and play faders were also linked. In fact I had no idea you could unlink them until I started researching this problem.

Now in PT 2018, I don’t hear anything when in playback but the record armed track is ALWAYS MONITROING when recording regardless of the green button. Is this a bug or a new “feature”?

LLM does not change this behavior.

I guess I should get a plug-in like mute tone or something....I just want to know if there is a pro tools preference setting I should change to fix this issue.

THANKS!

Last edited by guitarist9891; 08-06-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Input Monitoring in PT 2018.7

It is a bug in my view. Try to disable punch mode and enable punch mode again. Now click the record button of your track(s) and it should behave like it was before PT 2018.

You need do redo that every time when you change the recording status of any tracks.
But you can make it with the short cut (on Mac numeric 6) - hit is twice and you are ready to go for your next track.

It dose not have anything to do with LLM mode.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstu View Post
It is a bug in my view. Try to disable punch mode and enable punch mode again. Now click the record button of your track(s) and it should behave like it was before PT 2018.

You need do redo that every time when you change the recording status of any tracks.
But you can make it with the short cut (on Mac numeric 6) - hit is twice and you are ready to go for your next track.

It dose not have anything to do with LLM mode.

Hope that helps!
Disableing it and enabling punch does not help. It really makes no sense to me to have an input monitor button and then not give people a choice wether they want to monitor or not.

Hope they fix it!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:53 PM

Haven't seen this bug (though I'm on HDX), however, could you post two screenshots:

Preferences> Operations tab

Your Edit window showing at least one track that is suffering this problem and also have your (expanded fully) transport visible -- either in the top bar area or the free floating window transport.

The other thing is it would be helpful to know what your audio interface is.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Haven't seen this bug (though I'm on HDX), however, could you post two screenshots:

Preferences> Operations tab

Your Edit window showing at least one track that is suffering this problem and also have your (expanded fully) transport visible -- either in the top bar area or the free floating window transport.

The other thing is it would be helpful to know what your audio interface is.
My audio interface is a Steinberg UR824. I am not monitoring through the interfaces mixer and no sound is coming from there. I turned "Pre-fader Metering" off so you can clearly see the problem on the meters on the track called PRINT.

In screenshot 01 the input monitor is ON so we have signal on the meter and I hear the monitor - everything is the way it should be.

In screenshot 02 input monitor is off Record is enabled on the track but i am not recording I am simply playing back the session and I hear nothing. (since input monitor is off) - everything is the way it should be.

In screenshot 03 I am actually recording into the print track but input monitor is OFF. It should print to the track and I should hear nothing (since I am not inout monitoring) It should be silent recording. However I hear playback as if input monitor is ON although it is off. - THERE IS THE PROBLEM. In PT12.4 on Mavericks I never had this problem.

Screenshot 04 is my preferences - operation.

THANKS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 01.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 02.jpg (56.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 03.jpg (56.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 04.jpg (60.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:11 PM

Umm... that's how it should work (and how it has always meant to work)

If you are in record (while recording! --ie, transport active), then sound is passing through the channel so you will hear it. If you don't want to hear it, hit mute. Mute is post fader/input so it doesn't affect the recording.

Input monitoring is for when you want to monitor and NOT be in record. Or when you want to monitor while the transport is not active (though this can be changed on HDX systems so when a track is Record armed but not in record, you hear the input)

(if that wasn't happening in 12.4 Mavericks -- then THAT was a problem. I'm going to blow your mind here, but originally non HD Protools didn't have an "I" for input monitoring. That was an HD feature only. You put it in "R" to input monitor on non-HD Pro Tools. "R" and "I" aren't two exclusionary principles.)

Do you see that "Mute Record Armed Tracks When Stopped" option in preferences? Have you wondered why that option exists? If your Print track was being fed from an actual input (hardware) instead of a bus, you would hear through the track even while stopped like it was input monitor enabled. That option turns that off so it is muted unless the track is recording. But the reason that option exists is because that is how Record-Armed works by default. When Record-Armed you are also input monitoring.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:

If you are in record (while recording! --ie, transport active), then sound is passing through the channel so you will hear it. If you don't want to hear it, hit mute. Mute is post fader/input so it doesn't affect the recording.

Input monitoring is for when you want to monitor and NOT be in record. Or when you want to monitor while the transport is not active (though this can be changed on HDX systems so when a track is Record armed but not in record, you hear the input)

(if that wasn't happening in 12.4 Mavericks -- then THAT was a problem. I'm going to blow your mind here, but originally non HD Protools didn't have an "I" for input monitoring. That was an HD feature only. You put it in "R" to input monitor on non-HD Pro Tools. "R" and "I" aren't two exclusionary principles.)

Do you see that "Mute Record Armed Tracks When Stopped" option in preferences? Have you wondered why that option exists? If your Print track was being fed from an actual input (hardware) instead of a bus, you would hear through the track even while stopped like it was input monitor enabled. That option turns that off so it is muted unless the track is recording. But the reason that option exists is because that is how Record-Armed works by default. When Record-Armed you are also input monitoring.
Ye I remember briefly PT12 native didn't have "I" but at that time I was still playing around with Pro Tools and was still using Cubase as my main DAW. By the time I really got into Pro Tools the update with the "I" in PT vanilla came out.

So I guess I got used to the bug I had in 12.4. Funny. I haven't tracked in PT 2018 yet (just updated about 3 days ago) but should definitely check that Mute Record Armed Tracks When Stopped for when I start tracking, since I set up a separate monitor channel anyway. I guess now I should remember to mute the channels i am actually recording to. I liked my bug in 12.4 :) I guess I will get the mute tone plugin and put it on the tracks I am actually recording to.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:

That may have been true in the past but the following is in the update notes:

Low Latency Monitoring Enhancements

Pro Tools HD Native, Core Audio, and ASIO systems provide the following enhancements with Low Latency Monitoring:

Software monitoring is automatically disabled for all TrackInput Monitoring–enabled tracks.

Software monitoring is automatically disabled for all Record-enabled tracks.

This lets you use hardware monitoring with any output channels on your audio interface without having to re-configure your session. Previously when Low Latency Monitoring was enabled, software monitoring was disabled only for tracks assigned to physical outputs 1 or 2 on your audio interface. This is a significant upgrade to the functionality of Low Latency Monitoring as when systems grow it can no longer be assumed that monitoring is going to be happening via physical outputs 1+2..