Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM

Default Issue with recording to disk

Hey guys, newbie here in terms of mixing and tech issues. Please excuse me if I don't use correct terminology.

ProTools (Non-HD) 9.0.6, MBP 13", Mac OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard

I'm doing a short film for the web that has a lot of dynamics and loud peaks, and since it's for the web, I've been trying to push a lot of the effects as high as I can go without peaking. I've been doing a Bounce to Disk and some peaks that were registering as -1dbfs (I use PhaseScope to monitor loudness) were sounding really distorted. Instead, I decided to send all track outputs to a stereo track and record within ProTools.
However, the mixed down stereo tracks are still distorted. Throughout mixing the project in ProTools, I never got distortion on playbacks.

Here's what I did:
I had a few mono Aux tracks (individual DX, SFX, and Foley Aux tracks) which I sent to a final stereo Aux track, and one Stereo Aux Music track which I sent to the final stereo Aux track as well. Then, on the final stereo aux track I routed the send to the Stereo tracks which I was recording on.

I've tried putting a compressor on the final Aux track, but the only thing that works is instead of zeroing out the send output, I pulled it down by about -5db. Has anyone had this issue? Why wouldn't the stereo mixdown just sound exactly how I hear it on playbacks in ProTools without the distortion?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Issue with recording to disk

It sounds like you are creating distortion when you use the Aux's as summing buses... this will be the same result if you create a stereo buss and assign all outputs to it...

Try switching track view to Attenuation (Not Volume) and either lower just the Aux's you are using as sub mixes or all input tracks down like 3-6db... The bounce should not distort anymore and you can then(once you have a clean bounce) bring the final mix into a mastering session(New Session) to bring the entire thing up to -1dbsf...