Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2021, 06:35 AM

Default Pro Tools Perpetual License Issue

Hi - I'm on the latest version of Pro Tools but have let my licence expire due to financial reasons. I do have a Perpetual licence - but it doesn't seem to picking it up - I get the following...

Subscription Liecense Has Expired
Product Name: Pro Tools Perpetual
Publisher: Avid
Your subscription license has expired....

It then says - All visible licenses expired

But if I go into iLok Manager - I can see the license for Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle. I've tried switching from iLok to Cloud and back but still the same.

Is the reason its not picking up the license to due with the fact I'm on the latest version? Do I need to downgrade - if so, to what version?

Or is there another reason?

I've tried creating a several support tickets (no response from Avid) and calling them, but you need a support licence to actually talk to one.

Any ideas - thanks for any help...
Old 04-24-2021, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Perpetual License Issue

Take a look at the details of your license on iLok License Manager. The details section has a field called RELEASE LIMIT, which says you can use whatever PT version has been released on or before that date. If the current version is released after that date, it will not authorise.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:26 AM

Hi,

That seems a bit weird. Have you done the usual maintenance, iLok Manager is up to date, refresh licenses?
Where is the perpetual license placed? Is it on an iLok key currently? Have you tried to deactivate it and the activate it again?
Did you ever use a ProTools subscription license?

On iLok Manager locate your ProTools license and click on members to get sure you have a perpetual license.
You should see this:

Then click on details and scroll down to bottom, look at the field "Release Limit".
That is the date you have to check against your ProTools version, for example if that date is before March 2021, you can't use the latest release of PT.

Most possible, is that you have installed a ProTools version that cannot be activated by your current license, because you haven't renewed your annual plan.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazblake View Post
Hi - I'm on the latest version of Pro Tools but have let my licence expire due to financial reasons. I do have a Perpetual licence - but it doesn't seem to picking it up - I get the following...

Subscription Liecense Has Expired
Product Name: Pro Tools Perpetual
Publisher: Avid
Your subscription license has expired....

It then says - All visible licenses expired

But if I go into iLok Manager - I can see the license for Pro Tools Perpetual Bundle. I've tried switching from iLok to Cloud and back but still the same.

Is the reason its not picking up the license to due with the fact I'm on the latest version? Do I need to downgrade - if so, to what version?

Or is there another reason?

I've tried creating a several support tickets (no response from Avid) and calling them, but you need a support licence to actually talk to one.

Any ideas - thanks for any help...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-04-24 at 17.08.15.png (89.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-04-24 at 17.01.43.png (95.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 01:24 AM

Many thanks for your replies - a big help, so it seems release limit is 01/04/2018 (presume that date is in American format ie Jan-04-2018). See attachments...

So I have to go back quite a way (which I'm sure will have issues with plug-ins and my Mac OS (Big Sur).

So it looks like I have no option but to renew my subscription - I really dislike the subscription model. I've been a Pro Tools user for nearly 20 years but there is other software available out there...

Many thanks,
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 09.18.20.jpg (31.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 09.17.56.jpg (26.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 02:44 AM

"Renew" won't help you as the plan is not active any longer. Grace period is only 30 days. What you need is "Reinstatement", which Avid does not sell any longer. Contact your favourite authorized dealer and ask for this code specifically. Note: reinstatement costs more than renewal so that is how you know you are buying the right code

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazblake View Post
So it looks like I have no option but to renew my subscription - I really dislike the subscription model.
To clarify, to resume your perpetual license, you need to reinstate your perpetual license (which is no longer available from Avid but some retail places may still have existing reinstatements available) and then annually purchase the update plan and support plan (combined and can not be purchase separately).

It you switch to the subscription plan, you will forfeit your current perpetual license and must pay monthly or annually for the subscription to use Protools. If you stop paying, you will not be able to use Protools at all (This is different than the perpetual license where you can continue to use Protools, but only up to that version as you've found out). However, you can restart your subscription at any time after stopping without a higher reinstatement fee.

I hope that clears things up a bit rather than confusing things. Either way, you need to go one way of the other (unless you go back to a previous OS that is compatible with your current perpetual license of Protools and the plugins that are compatible with that). Good luck.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 04-25-2021, 10:47 AM

After years of Avid incentivising their subscription model, one imagines that the number of new perpetual licence sales has dropped to a relatively low level.

Those still holding such licences probably do so based on their perception of value and their previous investment in ‘owning’ Pro Tools - most of those longstanding users likely to change to a subscription will have already done so ... so that ship has sailed.

Surely the policy to remove the reinstatement option, at a slightly higher fee than the support plan (especially as this was recently doubled), could now be reversed?!

I’m an occasional user who might go for long periods without using my PT system and my last $199 would probably have been better ‘invested’ in Logic, especially with the direction of Macs/macOS and iPad/iPadOS (with new iPad pro using an M1 processor) + I also use FCPX.

I doubt any perpetual users wouldn’t welcome the reinstatement of reinstatements, so hopefully Avid might reconsider if the commercial impact is minimal ... or is this wishful thinking?
Old 04-27-2021, 09:42 AM

Hi - just to close the loop, I've found a cross-grade option which requires me to surrender the perperual license forever in turn for 2 year reduced (£79 + tax) subscription then it reverts to full price. I thought this was the best option as I didn't want to go back to a 2018 version.

All works ok.

Link is here as they've made quite hard to find...

https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...&sku=DYNA00000

Regards and thanks,
Gary