Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack not at Guitar Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
I bought mine at GC. It was the only one I ever saw in the store before or after I bought it.
This is kinda my point. I think any GC store over a certain volume probably got one and the never pushed them or reordered them. The smaller stores probably never even saw one. In comparison I bought one from Sweetwater on the day the product launched and is was sitting here by 11 the next morning. I don't think GC really cared about the product to begin with. Which is bizarre as even at the introductory price it offered a lot of value and a uniquely integrated workflow. At the ~650.00 price point with a free copy of the Pro Tools Software it's basically a no brainier. The only drawback that I see to it as a project studios main interface is not being able to use the Mic and Guitar input at the same time. And the lack of two XLR mic inputs really hobbles it.

Had GC embraced the 11R, stocked it and worked with Avid to promote I suspect they could have sold more.

Having said that had I been Avid I would have had some type of interactive 11Rack store displays like they had at NAMM in every major market. 15-20 displays rotated through the GC stores on a per monthly basis would have introduced the product to a far vaster audience. And probably generated enough buzz that each store that had the display would have sold a few 11Racks and stocked at least one after the display moved to the next store. Some thing like this could have put a 11R display in a lot of major markets for at least 30 days in the first year. As time went on you could increase the amount of displays. I have no idea what Avid does with the repaired units they service but sending them out to GC and Sam Ash as demo units would have been a great idea too. Great interface for those Saturday morning classes GC used to run.

But I have always thought that GC almost seemed to have some anti 11Rack bias. Which is very strange considering their guitar oriented market position. If there was a ever GC+Pro Tools match made in heaven you think this would have been it.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 03-17-2013, 06:30 AM

it's not even on their website as an item that can be ordered.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT8716 View Post
it's not even on their website as an item that can be ordered.
It was at one point very recently. Probably right now nothing more than a result of temporary out of stock situation of perhaps a change in the upcoming bundle and have no more soon to be old stock left to sell. GC sometimes does not return items in searches that are really tough to get at that point in time, not just plain normal inventory cycles.

Maybe they don't allow site visibility until they know more is coming in? We did this at the last e-tailer I slung code for.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
This is kinda my point. I think any GC store over a certain volume probably got one and the never pushed them or reordered them. The smaller stores probably never even saw one. In comparison I bought one from Sweetwater on the day the product launched and is was sitting here by 11 the next morning. I don't think GC really cared about the product to begin with. Which is bizarre as even at the introductory price it offered a lot of value and a uniquely integrated workflow. At the ~650.00 price point with a free copy of the Pro Tools Software it's basically a no brainier. The only drawback that I see to it as a project studios main interface is not being able to use the Mic and Guitar input at the same time. And the lack of two XLR mic inputs really hobbles it.

Had GC embraced the 11R, stocked it and worked with Avid to promote I suspect they could have sold more.

Having said that had I been Avid I would have had some type of interactive 11Rack store displays like they had at NAMM in every major market. 15-20 displays rotated through the GC stores on a per monthly basis would have introduced the product to a far vaster audience. And probably generated enough buzz that each store that had the display would have sold a few 11Racks and stocked at least one after the display moved to the next store. Some thing like this could have put a 11R display in a lot of major markets for at least 30 days in the first year. As time went on you could increase the amount of displays. I have no idea what Avid does with the repaired units they service but sending them out to GC and Sam Ash as demo units would have been a great idea too. Great interface for those Saturday morning classes GC used to run.

But I have always thought that GC almost seemed to have some anti 11Rack bias. Which is very strange considering their guitar oriented market position. If there was a ever GC+Pro Tools match made in heaven you think this would have been it.
One consideration I know from my past working at the Tempe AZ store is margins. I was working there during the 001 and 5.x finishing school and the issue was basically no markup on them. I would be surprised if they made 50$ a unit. The pro audio dept has the smallest profit margins of anywhere in the store. Then at this time they were very strict about retailers. You also had to buy from your region in order to get support and retailers were not allowed to sell outside their regions and their could only be so many retailers per region and they were trained. Also they had set pricing at this time, you could not discount or set your own price unless you got permission from your regional rep. This is still common practice for company's such as Mesa boogie. In Phoenix E.A.R. Was the only Tdm system dealer.

Some of this has changed but some has not. GC and avid (digidesign) has never really had a friendly relationship. I suspect the inability to train reps due to high turnover is part of this along w the small profit margin. Somewhere like sweetwater w a much smaller number of employees who has made the effort to work and train w avid (digidesign) who also seems to keep their employees far longer and continue to get updates and training is probably far more of an asset to avid as a retailer.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 03-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Guitar Center, Music123 and Musicians Friend dropped the 11R about a month ago. I emailed about a price match and they made it clear that they don't carry it anymore.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM

Alto is selling the Eleven Rack with the Expansion Pack installed. Does it come this way sealed from the factory or do they open the box and install it?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Alto is selling the Eleven Rack with the Expansion Pack installed. Does it come this way sealed from the factory or do they open the box and install it?
that is how new 11r's come

http://www.avid.com/US/products/elev...cludedsoftware

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 03-18-2013, 06:27 AM

I Just bought a new i7 laptop with windows 8. Will PT10 work with it?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:33 AM

and will Eleven Rack?
Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I Just bought a new i7 laptop with windows 8. Will PT10 work with it?
Windows 8 is not officially qualified for any version of Pro Tools.

That said, I am running PT 9.0.6 and the Eleven Rack on Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. I have not come across any program that works with Windows 7 that will not work on Windows 8 - but, you will be on your own for tech support because Windows 8 is not approved.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio