Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 02:31 PM

Default OT: How do you test CD-R Masters

How do you guys check/verify final Master-CDs ? Is there some sort of software/hardware that checks if
CD-Rs are (physically) ok for duplication and broadcast ?

Also: what speed do you burn Master-CDs ? Does burning speed has any influence on the quality of
the Master-CD or is this an issue of the past?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:10 PM

Default Re: OT: How do you test CD-R Masters

there is a program called 'Plextools' that runs on PC and also on Virtual PC on a MAC. it tests for errors rate.

you can find out more about it here...

PLEXTOOLS WEBSITE

most of today's CD's and CD burners are able to operate reliably at a higher burn rate. ...no more need to burn a 'master' at 1X anymore... a lot of decent mastering houses are doing 4x-16x ... for a MASTER, i would not burn any higher than that...

for a REDBOOK AUDIO or playable DVD it is best NOT to use a paper label as that can unbalance the CD as it spins in the player causing more problems. might i suggest an inexpensive EPSON printer that prints onto the CD/DVD directly and inkjet printable media...

that said, a data CD-R that has bwav masters on it for a show at 16/48 i have had no trouble at 24X and higher.

might i also recommend TAIYO YUDEN media and some cans of air blast cleaner for the dust and junk that can collect on CD's on the shelf or in the CD tray.

tests have shown that the "Super Drive" in the MAC is pretty reliable...and the PLEXTOR drives are also very good with low error rates. the Plextor 'Premium' internal drive is almost impossble to come by ...though, check out the 760A (some ME's are switching to this) and the ext FW plextor 716 is also a good burner.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 PM

Default Re: OT: How do you test CD-R Masters

Hi there ...

As usual, Minister is right on the money with PlexTools Professional and his comments. Well worth the investment. I'd add though that it's always best to run the check in a different drive from that on which you burned the CD-R. Incidentally, PlexTools Professional will only run on a Plextor 'premium' drive ... check the specs to make sure that the program is bundled with the Plextor drive of your choice. We have 716s and no problems with them.

You also asked about hardware checkers and probably the most commonly found of these are made by Clover Systems. Product details can be found at:

http://www.cloversystems.com/

Obviously more expensive than PlexTools and typically found in replication houses.

Kind regards,

Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post