Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2011, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Is it safer to buy a non-Avid interface to use with ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
The 192 uses the TDM interface protocol. HD Native and HDX do not use the TDM protocol. How will the 192 probably still work?
...because a 192 already works fine with HD Native?

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
...because a 192 already works fine with HD Native?
If that's the case, try plugging it into an HDX card.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-07-2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
If that's the case, try plugging it into an HDX card.
Hence why they are bundling the cards with I/Os. Speculation suggests one would still work by using the adapter that comes with a Native card. Especially since they are still supported in 10.

D

Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 AM

Be that as it may, the end of support for the blue HD interfaces has been announced and they will cease to work with Pro Tools beyond 10.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-07-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Be that as it may, the end of support for the blue HD interfaces has been announced and they will cease to work with Pro Tools beyond 10.
Yet to be proven.

D

Old 11-07-2011, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Pro Tools changed a lot with 9. It's not to do with the software itself but the ASIO drivers you speak of. They won't be updating the driver beyond 10. Pro Tools doesn't supply the driver compatibility anymore, and therefore doesn't determine specifically what hardware will and will not work.

I'm guessing you're talking about the 2408 or another device that attaches to a card. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 2408mkIII probably doesn't use significantly different software architecture than its predecessors. It's for the same reason a 192 will probably still work beyond PT10, but just isn't supported to.

Avid is not the only company who forces obsolescence. Focusrite, Yamaha, Mackie...

Look up "mLan." Yamaha's FW system for a few of their great mixers like the 01V and 02R. You basically have to hack the drivers into W7 to get it to work.

It's the nature of computers. After a while, devices stop working with the latest gear. Apple does this faster than anyone, yet people buy new Macbooks all the time.
Avid cripples our HD accel systems purposely by disabling the core audio in PT 10 and probably beyond. (Which would have made our HD accel cards work as a HD native card) Our systems have an existing driver making our systems work with e.g. Cubase in 64bit native mode and run 32 bit floating point. This is why it’s safer to by a non-Avid system.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:53 AM

Where the blue interfaces may cease to function is when Avid release a 64bit version of Pro Tools HD. For an interface to be recognized with a 64bit system/application it needs to have a 64 bit driver written. Currently we don't have one for the blue interface but the HDX card will have one & if you can connect it to the HDX card it could still work theoretically.

Personally I think the Lynx cards & interfaces are probably a safer bet though. Thinking I'll likely go for a 2nd Lynx AES16e.

www.matthewgraymastering.com

Brisbane Australia
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 AM

I recently considered getting an HDN + Omni + Artist fader pack (for the relatively tight integration with PT as I'm currently running PT9 + CPTK) but I have decided (like a good bunch of my friends around town) to go for the SSL MADI card + interface. So much better value! Still have to decide on the controller...

I really would have wanted to get the HDN kit but Avid is not giving me any incentive price-wise/feature-wise/and with their corporate behavior!

This is a time when I'm reminded why I decided to get rid of my HD3/192s/ProControl (upraded for too much $$ from Mix 3+ too) a loong time ago at the first signs of Native systems showing promises of competing with TDM!

Still, I have a closet of mint Digi/Avid gear that I can't find any use for : Adat Bridge i/o, Digi 001, MBox. Soon to be joined by an 002...

BTW, Digi did not had much better manners with its user base 10 years ago. They (at least Avid corporate management) are an entity suffering from a pathological narcissistic syndrome and the actual dissassociation from its users (as well as staffers it would seems) as well as their demonstrated incapacity to adapt to present market realities/competition is a result of this condition...

I think the software is still a GREAT tool.

Sorry for the editorial commentary.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I may be off base here, but i think its down to the drivers and code to communicate with the interfaces. Digi/Avid have always been a proprietary hardware thing until PT9, while the 3rd party companies have built there hardware and drivers to work with everyone(or as many as they could). Many of the Digi/Avid interfaces were never great choices for use with other DAW software, while they all worked fine with Pro Tools I have to wonder if maybe Avid is going to let the lower end of hardware slide out the door(giving it up to 3rd party builders) while they concentrate on the "next big thing" for the pros. It appears they are pricing Pro Tools software so that they make good profit from it without selling any hardware(at least at the lower end of the spectrum). Just random thoughts
So, so, so sad.....
Old 11-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Unless there is a game changer 004 I would say 3rd party for the mid tier of PT (8 to 16 inputs) is the way to go. My thoughts are headed towards rme, steinberg and Metric HAlo..........
Me two. Question is, how long to wait for a 004, something similar???

For me its winter NAMM, after that, off I gooo......