Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2024, 10:34 PM

Default Inconsistency with Command D (Absolute vs Relative) for Clips compared to MIDI Notes

I noticed this today and it has me confused.

Let's say you have about a bar of music played by a performer (Audio or MIDI) and the down beat was slightly earlier than on the grid but you choose to not edit it to maintain the feel. If you hit Command D to "loop out" the clip, the duplicates in the edit window will always snap to absolute grid value even if relative grid is on.

Inversely, when editing MIDI notes, regardless of setting absolute or relative, duplicates of an edit selection or notes will always snap to relative value.

I can't understand why Pasting or Option dragging (audio or MIDI) clips or MIDI notes respects absolute vs relative in an identical fashion while Duplicating always is absolute on clips and always relative on MIDI notes. Can anyone explain? Thanks!

EDIT: Attachment from the manual.

Gil Gowing mentioned this to me at NAAM when I was asking about MIDI beat clock, but I suppose this is really the reason!

Command D to duplicate out clip(s) can only be used on material that starts on a down beat when working with Bar | Beats as the main counter. Good to know for certain and a good reason to grid that down beat of a performance :)

I couldn't find mention in the manual of the MIDI part of this so would be curious to be informed or to look and find it!
Attached Images
File Type: png Command D on a Clip.png (95.2 KB, 0 views)
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.4

Last edited by skylar_battles; 02-18-2024 at 10:34 PM.