Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2023, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Lots Of Latency When Using Certain Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by take77 View Post
So the next time someone wants to change the song whilst mixing, look at them and say: This better be good...
I gotta remember this one! it happens all the time!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 09-14-2023, 06:17 PM

another workaround for the original poster is simply bounce the mix without the offending part. save it as a new session, and let the artist know you have 2046 voices available for overdubs - without plugins.
Old 09-14-2023, 06:30 PM

On the album I finished a few months back, near the end, we had to disable many plugins to put in finishing touches and final performances. It's kind of required in a large track project just before you start to consolidate for mixing.
Old 09-14-2023, 07:58 PM

Thanks Everyone, I'm just beyond frustrated with this at this point. I literally just got a new headphone system too and I cant set it up the way I want to because of this latency as well. I literally am going to have to bounce all these tracks down with effects in order to be able to use this headphone system because if I use any of my additional interface outputs in a session with these plugins the singers cant hear themselves in real time.

The one missing feature on these new Audient EVOs is being able to pass the audio directly from the inputs to the other outputs without going through the DAW first.

Really wanted to let people adjust their own headphone mixes, but not going to happen now. Really sad.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineStudios View Post
The one missing feature on these new Audient EVOs is being able to pass the audio directly from the inputs to the other outputs without going through the DAW first.
Uh? The EVO have hardware mixing/monitoring. You should be able to fairly straghtforwardly output low-latency hardware monitoring mixes to the outputs, or use submixes and feed headphone distribution amps/artist mixers.

And back to the start of this thread. What you are saying there is pretty confusing, the latency there cannot be from these plugins you mention, unless you are tripping up some bug.. and at least the known issues there can be worked around. Can we start with the most basic stuff like what H/W buffer size is, and what the latency is measured accurately in samples.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

And back to the start of this thread. What you are saying there is pretty confusing, the latency there cannot be from these plugins you mention, unless you are tripping up some bug.. and at least the known issues there can be worked around. Can we start with the most basic stuff like what H/W buffer size is, and what the latency is measured accurately in samples.
I suspect he’s trying to record through plugins.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Uh? The EVO have hardware mixing/monitoring. You should be able to fairly straghtforwardly output low-latency hardware monitoring mixes to the outputs, or use submixes and feed headphone distribution amps/artist mixers.
You CAN NOT come out of outputs 3 - 8 on the back of the EVO without going through the DAW first.

The EVO Software only allows you to send inputs to the Cue Mixes in real time. If you want to send it to any other out (Outputs 3 - 8) on the back of the unit you have to run THROUGH your DAW and Route it back out.

So if I have these plugins active (which its obvious they do cause latency for everyone) when the signal gets routed back out of the DAW to one of the outputs on the back of the EVO it will have latency.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dG2...ew?usp=sharing
Old 09-14-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I suspect he’s trying to record through plugins.
You should read the post again. Im not trying to record THROUGH plugins. I am trying to record to new tracks without plugins but because the song is 90% mixed it induces latency into the system and unless I used direct monitoring through my interface the singers can not hear themselves in real time.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:56 PM

I did read the post and you wrote this…

Quote:
whenever I have these plugins enabled and I am trying to record I get over 30ms of latency. This makes it very difficult when someone wants to come back and fix a part for a song after I have already started mixing. I have to manually go in and delete each plugin. Bypassing them still causes the latency issue. So i have to make a preset then delete the plugin and reload it after fixing the part. It’s become very annoying.
Which makes it seem like you were trying to record through the plugins.

Either way, your issue is solvable. It’s not worthy of a rant.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineStudios View Post
You CAN NOT come out of outputs 3 - 8 on the back of the EVO without going through the DAW first.

The EVO Software only allows you to send inputs to the Cue Mixes in real time. If you want to send it to any other out (Outputs 3 - 8) on the back of the unit you have to run THROUGH your DAW and Route it back out.
Oh God how stupid/infuriating, I opened up the manual to see how they do this and missed the 4 cue mix outputs on the right hand side of the mixer. Makes me appreciate more the everything to everything consistent TotalMix experience with RME interfaces (well consistent but more recent interfaces have the FX features). Can you return that Evo to the seller?

Quote:
So if I have these plugins active (which its obvious they do cause latency for everyone) when the signal gets routed back out of the DAW to one of the outputs on the back of the EVO it will have latency.
Of course monitoring though these plugins cause latency, we know exactly what that is--the latencies I mention above. And to that plugin latency you add the H/W buffer and converter latency RTL. But the later does not go away when you remove the plugin. That's how it should work, but it's sure possible to mess up routing or hit bugs and have it not work properly.

Can you give any of the info I asked for because again stuff here just does not make sense. What is the H/W buffer size? Actual latency in samples (was 30ms close/measured or was it a guess?), etc. And once we actually understand what you are doing maybe we can help you get back to much lower latencies when monitoring through the plugins.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-14-2023 at 09:59 PM.
Closed Thread