Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2023, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Possible to share the documents/settings folder between systems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettster View Post
thank you for a relatable response. i'm just wondering if multiple systems can use the SAME settings folder or if they each need their own
I wouldn’t do it if this folder is solely in the cloud. This could be the source of your issue you posted in this thread.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424537

The folder should be local on your system but could also be synced to the cloud (Dropbox, Google, etc). But if a lot of other people or adding to that folder constantly, Pro Tools needs to index that folder each and every time you access it. The right click track menu is one of those that probably accesses and indexes that folder for track presets.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
...Pro Tools needs to index that folder each and every time you access it. The right click track menu is one of those that probably accesses and indexes that folder for track presets.
indeed ^^ this

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 07-06-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I wouldn’t do it if this folder is solely in the cloud. This could be the source of your issue you posted in this thread.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=424537

The folder should be local on your system but could also be synced to the cloud (Dropbox, Google, etc). But if a lot of other people or adding to that folder constantly, Pro Tools needs to index that folder each and every time you access it. The right click track menu is one of those that probably accesses and indexes that folder for track presets.
I would never have it synced to cloud-only, it's fully local. That was part of the problem, but not entirely. iCloud doesn't give you any control over what it syncs and de-syncs. Dropbox does. This would never be de-synced. But the real culprit that some people identified in there was the folder structure of the preset folders. For whatever reason, adding folders in the preset root folders seemed to cause the issue. But it sounds like it doesn't really take until you reinstall.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:26 AM

I'm syncing my complete documents folder with a private nextcloud including the Pro Tools Settings, Sound Libraries and Project Cache. It's works absolutely flawless and I have all Plug-In-Settings, Plug-In-Maps and alike at every time ready on every system. I can really advice to do that if you work on more than 1 system.
However if you want to use Dropbox I recommend not to share a complete Documents folder as there are often documents there that contain private data and should not be uploaded to servers that are operated commercially or are not private for data protection reasons and to protect the personal rights of third parties.
Instead you can move the Pro Tools folders within Pro Tools Preferences to a location else where on your system and only sync that with your Dropbox.
The only thing that is sometimes a bit annoying is when you use different pro tools versions and then the documentations are constantly exchanged. You can force Dropbox not to sync any PDF or to exclude the Documentations folder to get around this problem. And maybe subfolders like video patterns, Demo Sessions etc too :)
Old 07-10-2023, 12:17 PM

I use chronosync for that. And also install chrono agent on the second system. You also need a static IP on the second system and you need to open some ports on your router.
Then you can sync any folder on your system and nothing is in a cloud.

Ale