Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Default Do You Run PT HD and Logic In Same Computer?

I'm installing Logic 8 in my computer and have a couple of questions. I'm not planning to run the two programs at the same time.

1. I'm wondering if using my Digi HD hardware as the audio interface for Logic will make changes to my DAE prefs that affect Pro Tools, or are they a complete different set of prefs?

2. Any hidden land mines I need to be careful of?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Do You Run PT HD and Logic In Same Computer?

Sorry, I don't have a concrete answer for you but I DO know that it's usually a good idea not to run two applications that large on the same platform. You're probably asking for core audio troubles. On the other hand, as long as you don't run them both (even keeping one open in the background) Pro Tools will tell you that it's unable to acquire the hardware, and error messages of that sort will show. You may easily run them both if logic will run with you CAD, and I see no reason why it would not. Don't know if this helps but I'm sure many others will chime in and make me look like a monkey's butt. Especially Chris!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 PM

I have at least 6 clients that are running Logic and PT on the same rig
Since they all refuse to use VI's in PT, So they all only mix in pro tools

Since logic will be using the Digidesign hardware it is impossible to run both at the same time

I dont why it would not be advisable to NOT install 2 large programs as previously described they each are independent and have nothing to do with each other except on a hardware level

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 09-25-2008, 11:51 PM

Hey dude,

I probably wasn't clear, having them both on your system drive is fine, but as you reiterated, you can't have them both running at the same time. PT will NOT let you acquire another parties hardware as long as it has a hold on core audio. I think what I should have said to make myself more clear is that I try not to have any applications on my Pro Tools computer that i don't need. It just makes life easier and I don't worry about error messages or system bog down as a result. There's absolutely no reason why both can't be on the system.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
I'm installing Logic 8 in my computer and have a couple of questions. I'm not planning to run the two programs at the same time.

1. I'm wondering if using my Digi HD hardware as the audio interface for Logic will make changes to my DAE prefs that affect Pro Tools, or are they a complete different set of prefs?

2. Any hidden land mines I need to be careful of?

Thanks
Hi,

I run PT and logic on the same computer! one important thing is do you intend to run logic under the DAE audio engine or the coreaudio engine?

If you run logic under the coreaudio engine and you use a different make of interface (anything that doesn't use digi coreaudio) then they will both run happily at the same time.

If you run logic under the DAE engine then yes it will effect the settings when you revert back to pro tools and visa versa.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 AM

Thanks for finding us chris!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 AM

I run both - use Fireface 400 for Logic and Digi for ProTools.

No problem - so far.

I have trouble to sync them, any advice? I will like to use the IAC tool - and if it's possible, do you know if they can be master both of them?

Thanks

GS
Old 09-26-2008, 05:30 AM

In answer to your final question, unless the application has an IAC driver, you're basically back at square one with us, run on same computer but not concurrently.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM

I'm also a happy (???most of the time???) user of both PT 7.4.2 and Logic Pro 8.0.2. For me, it's no alternative to use VI's in PT opposed to Logic's AU instruments - reasons discussed in several threads. With current version of PT (and of course just a PPC G5 1.8DP as engine) the machine chokes after just a few instances of VI's.
I always use Logic with the Digi hardware - so it's either PT or Logic at one time. But I believe it's possible to Rewire Logic into PT. Run Logic natively on internal sound card (just set Sys.Prefs>Sound>Output to Internal spkrs so Logic don't aquire the DigiCoreAudio driver) and PT with a Rewire plug. If I'm right, Rewire will also take care of syncing...
Old 09-26-2008, 07:13 AM

Cool, maybe we started a beast here for you Logic guys. Don't blame you for using it for Midi/VIs. I have been pretty lucky with PT not choking but I always print to audio as soon as I an done with a idi track, then I just mute and hide for later if necessary. Way cool dude! Explore more, I unfortunately cannot. I'm "Illogical."