How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2001, 03:33 PM

Default Roland SRV-330 hidden feature?

Hey everybody!

Allthough not quite suitable for this forum, I realise, there are so many knowlegeable people on this forum I'm sure one of you knows or has hear about this? I have a Roland SRV-330, and I heard a rumour that there's a button combination you can press on startup that will turn it into an SDE-330 (the delay version of the roland); since both units are so incredibly similar, this wouldn't surprise me. (digi, I have it connected to my 882 as an aux send, so it's still got something to do with Protools [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

Any ideas?

Joe
Old 07-22-2001, 09:56 PM

Default Re: Roland SRV-330 hidden feature?

I know that this is true of the SRV 2000. There are three buttons you can hold in at start-up to turn it into an SDE 1000. I don't remember which buttons, but if I had one in front of me, I could do it. It wouldn't surprise me if Roland did this little trick again.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:58 AM

I would love to know this tip. I have an SRV330 and the SDE330. I would love to be able to operate with two of either unit.
Please someone share this great tip!

Joris de Man, if you find out the answer please share it with me.

EMail: [email protected]
Old 07-23-2001, 02:27 PM

I am really wanting an srv330. I heard that it has some of the thickest reverb sounds this side of $1000.

If anyone is interested in a trade, please email me. I am willing to trade my symetrix 528 preamp which was the one used used on the hit series ER.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:15 AM

>Joris de Man, if you find out the answer >please share it with me.

>EMail: [email protected][/QB][/QUOTE]

Sure thing, allthough unfortunately I haven't had any luck so far.

The SRV is undoubtedly one of the best things I've ever bought, and it's reverb is still a class unto it's own. I bought an MPX-1 a while back, and allthough it sounds different I certainly wouldn't call it better. Also, the SRV has got some wicked room presets with the 3d room algorithm and some amazing non linear reverb algorithms..
a bit noiser then some, but still worth every penny. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the price on this baby never really dropped much [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If anybody knows the key combination (if there is one at all) to turn it into an SRV-330, I'll buy them a big pizza! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Regards,

Joris de Man
Old 07-24-2001, 07:51 AM

I've used alot of verbs and delays in my years, but w/out question, The SRV330 is one of my all time favorites. SDE330 is just as good.
It may seem odd to studio guys who have never used it. They may say,"ROLAND? Yea Right!". But you have to hear it to believe it. It is gorgeous, abd so easy to edit. The power supply or something wnt out on mine a while ago and it took me a little overa year to get it fixed. I was very lazy. When I finally got it back and heard it I just smiled. I had forgotten just how sweet it was and still is.
Everyone needs to hear it. Or maybe not.... I love it when people ask which verb I'm using... adn then there jaw drops when they find out it's the Roland.

Rams Boy
Old 07-24-2001, 08:18 AM

Yups, it's da bomb [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The EQ section is a real treat too; I've gotten some great snare sounds by crancking up the mid and using a pretty short verb time, or even better, use the gate for that old phill collins /PG sound.
The rss is unconvincing over speakers but sounds reasonable over headphones; I also used to midi-automate the rss positions to get it to fly around your head.
A favourite of mine is taking the 3d room algorithm, and setting the size and density to zero, and then use it completely wet on some percussion or other sounds. Since the room preset is based on 3d early reflections,you basically just get the first reflection which is in a really odd position. It somehow really takes a sound out of a mix when you combine it with something else.

Anyway, any people know the 'magic' combination to turn it into an sde-330?

great box, vastly underrated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheerio,

JOe
Old 07-24-2001, 08:14 PM

It's three buttons at powerup. I can't remember which. Sorry.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:28 AM

Rams Boy you wrote

....The SRV330 is one of my all time favorites. SDE330 is just as good.....

a SDE330 for +/- $ 350 : is that a good deal ?

And is the SRV330 comparable to the SRV-3030 ?

I have some bizarre ambient-influenced cd's on the em:t label (mid 90's :label doesn't exist anymore) & they were all recorded through the RSS 3-D sound imaging system, the sound is fantastic !

Marc
Old 07-25-2001, 11:27 AM

If you need an incredibly well equipped stereo delay with MIDI sync and nice EQ Tempo BPM options with more bells and whistles than you'll probably use, Than yes $350 is probably a good deal. I love this delay more than any other.

I have not tryed the SRV3030, however I have wanted to. If the sound is as good as the 330 than I would love to have one because it has Digital i/o. I wish my 330 had Digital i/o. I would expect the 3030 to be betterthan the 330 since there is about a 6 year lapse between technology.