Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Default AB'ing - Plugin with stereo sidechain input and Listen capability?

I'm trying to solve a problem I have with my Omni rig with no external monitor controller ie I only have one stereo out. I want to A/B - compare a stereo bounce of a track against the mix i'm working on.

I need to compare the same parts of the printed mix against the live mix in progress. SAMPLE AB plugin won't let me play a track in sync so I was thinking if I solo safe'ed the bounced stereo reference track in the session and then sent this to a bus and then , in the last insert of my master bus I could have a compressor or similar, doing nothing, but with a listen button I could solo the sidechain and therefore cut off the live mix and flip between the two.

Good idea? hmm....Except I can't find a plugin with a stereo sidechain and listen facility - the usual subjects only let me select a mono sidechain. I've never really needed to do this til now so is this correct? Even on a stereo master?

The only other way I can figure this out is to have a aux pre stereo monitor with the mixchain plugs on for the master and a second audio track with ref to stereo monitor and put PT in solo x-or but that's against my usual workflow... any tips welcome.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 AM

Default Re: AB'ing - Plugin with stereo sidechain input and Listen capability?

how about just an audio track for your reference mix

then route either the main out bus (aux track) or all main track outputs to a bus and then on your reference track select that same bus for the input.

Use the "I" button to play through input and jump back and forth to listen to reference and new version by engaging input or playback...

I think the "I" button can be engaged and disengaged while the track is playing back... at least i used to do this on an TDM rig... have not tried like that on my native rig.

or have one master bus where all your other tracks in the session end upand then the reference track just on an audio track.

with both tracks selected hit shift+m to mute but what it will also do is turn off mute (its a toggle like switch)

so one track muted to begin with then use the key command to toggle between the two tracks..

one being your aux track that is actually a bus with your whole mix now routed through it and the other is just an audio track.

this I do all the time.

hope this makes sense.

its late and im tired...

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.