Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 AM

Default Channel Strips & Pro Tools 10

What's the difference between using a channel strip on a specific channel or an EQ & Compressor on that specific channel ??

Regards,
Old 10-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Channel Strips & Pro Tools 10

The main advantage is not taking up as much insert slots. This is not as much of an issue since PT expanded to 10 inserts from 5.

Other than that, it's identical. For example, if you used the Waves Renasscance channel, which includes the R. compressor and R. EQ, it would be no different in terms of CPU processing or sound quality vs, using those individual plugins.

However, as you know, some channel strips, like the Waves SSL, or Avid Channel Strip, are only available as channel strips, and do not have individual versions (though you can turn off what you don't need).
Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 AM

Most channel strip plugs include a gate - plus EQ and comp.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Nts7 is mostly right, except that the channel strips that comes with pro tools is based on the system 5 channel strips. There's no equivalence in what PT has as individual plugins, and it's also a lot less CPU intensive than if you had the same amount of individual plugins instantiated.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM

Cheers .... One More Question .... Let's talk drums ... (synths, basslines aside ...) which is better ?? knowing it's a totally subjective question .....

compressing the kick, the snare, each one alone or putting a compressor on an aux drum bus .... same goes for EQs .... i am a newbie in mastering ...
Old 10-17-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Cheers .... One More Question .... Let's talk drums ... (synths, basslines aside ...) which is better ?? knowing it's a totally subjective question .....

compressing the kick, the snare, each one alone or putting a compressor on an aux drum bus .... same goes for EQs .... i am a newbie in mastering ...
Personally it depends on the style of music and what the client wants. I some time just do a parallel compression buss for the drums, sometimes I do both, dynamics on snare kick toms (individually) and then the comp buss. It really depends on what you want to get.

Wave-T.com
Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM

ether, nether or, both
it all depends on what is there and were it need to get to

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks guys ... but I guess that's why i inserted the word "sujective" when i was asking the question .... Say we are talking about dance tracks ... a normal kick and snare ... 808 or 909 kits ... any good .. i mean great tutorials ?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 PM

I usually put a compressor on each individual drum/mic to get the sound I want. Unless you are totally squashing each drum, each will usually require different compressor settings. I usually avoid or only slightly compress cymbals to maintain a nice, natural decay. Discerning mic placement on the drum kit has a very big impact on the quality of your tracks.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks guys ... but I guess that's why i inserted the word "sujective" when i was asking the question .... Say we are talking about dance tracks ... a normal kick and snare ... 808 or 909 kits ... any good .. i mean great tutorials ?
Groove3 has good tutorials, and there's always Youtube.

But, there's no fast way to learn these things. You see, it's about learning the trade, and training your ears. Compress and eq every track separately, or compress and eq only the drum bus? There's no right answer here, other than you doing what the song needs. Tutorials can help you with the technical side of things, and probably inspire you, but you have to put in the extra effort. Experiment, experiment, experiment.