Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Default Hotter Signal...

This relates to my mains output signal from the Stage Box. I'm going directly out of the stage box outputs to Meyers UPQ's and 700HP's. What I'm finding is that I'm running out of console headroom on the master outputs before I'm running out of speaker headroom. I've set the meters at RMS and -1 for "red lights" for the outputs.

(The Meyers have inputs and no attenuation which I actually like) For those of you that run Meyers do you use the processor to get more volume or is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by Live Sound Audio; 06-21-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Clarify.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Hotter Signal...

What kind of programming are you trying to run through the UPQ's? Do you have any kind of high/low-pass on the loudspeaker inputs or console outputs?

I have UPQ's in my balcony, and they do fine in that application keeping up with the MICA mains.

Dave
Old 06-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Hey Dave.
It was an R&B band last week and this week it will be a cover rock band. Both outdoors.

For the UPQ's, I'm running L/R Stereo through Waves EQ with Meyers specs crossing with a high pass at 162, then MasterX will a little compression. (the mains outputs are getting to the top of the green meters and I know there's much more volume left in the boxes...)

For the 750 Subs, I'm I'm running an Aux sub feed (that is maxed) to the mono buss with an inserted L2 and that is also at the top of the green meters.

For my event this weekend I'm gonna need to get them loud as possible.... And it seems I can't get them loud as possible... But I do LOVE the UPQ's with the 700's ...

Now that I've thought more about it - I realize some of the other speaker combo's I use with Venue have "knobs" either digital gain or physical and I for sure have hotter gains on them vs. Meyers...

Are you going from the Venue directly to the Meyers or are you using processing inbetween?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:23 AM

I have Meyer Melodies for my mains, and I go through a Soundweb London. However, I dont have the Soundweb doing any gain compensation at all, and I have noticed that I get awfully close to peaking the board when getting pretty loud. I know that the Melodies can handle much more SPL than that, I have thought about using the Soundweb to boost the gain coming out of the console. I think the approach I was going to take is looking at the input signal, send 0db of pink out of the console, and seeing where that ends up, and turning up if necessary.
Sacramento, CA
Old 06-22-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Sound Audio View Post
Hey Dave.
It was an R&B band last week and this week it will be a cover rock band. Both outdoors.

For the UPQ's, I'm running L/R Stereo through Waves EQ with Meyers specs crossing with a high pass at 162, then MasterX will a little compression. (the mains outputs are getting to the top of the green meters and I know there's much more volume left in the boxes...)

For the 750 Subs, I'm I'm running an Aux sub feed (that is maxed) to the mono buss with an inserted L2 and that is also at the top of the green meters.

For my event this weekend I'm gonna need to get them loud as possible.... And it seems I can't get them loud as possible... But I do LOVE the UPQ's with the 700's ...

Now that I've thought more about it - I realize some of the other speaker combo's I use with Venue have "knobs" either digital gain or physical and I for sure have hotter gains on them vs. Meyers...

Are you going from the Venue directly to the Meyers or are you using processing inbetween?
I have Meyer Galileos for my drive rack. There are known gain issues with the Galileos when interfacing digitally, but if you're just direct that shouldn't be an issue.

What happens if you turn off the MasterX and L2? How big are the venues you're putting the rig in? How many tops? How many subs?

Dave
Old 06-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post
I have Meyer Galileos for my drive rack. There are known gain issues with the Galileos when interfacing digitally, but if you're just direct that shouldn't be an issue.

What happens if you turn off the MasterX and L2? How big are the venues you're putting the rig in? How many tops? How many subs?

Dave
The output plug's don't change the max voltage drive from the Venue and I've found the same thing either way. I actually use the output comps to create "that sound" vs. headroom issues.

The venues are outside for maybe 2000 people or less. One UPQ and one Sub per side. I've done some asking about and found out that with the Digi console and Meyers the "preferred" method is to set the Gallileo at +10 which was recently done for a tour and resulted in the "output headroom" they were looking for.

Then I started thinking and remembered I had boosted gain on my QSC Wideline SC28 over a year ago and then it all came into focus - I have boosted the gain on all my speaker processors but can't do that on the Meyers.... I'm not complaining but understand the output voltage for the Digi is more modest than I need. Then again, most speaker systems have processing that is missing for this particular application which would solve the problem. Gee, the little Gallileo is only $5,000 or something like that.....
Old 06-22-2010, 10:01 PM

Up to 2000 people, outdoors, 1 UPQ and one sub per side and a lack of volume? Are you being serious?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Sound Audio View Post
The venues are outside for maybe 2000 people or less. One UPQ and one Sub per side.
Sounds like you need more PA.

Dave
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstagl View Post
Sounds like you need more PA.

Dave
A lot more. Without knowing all the particulars I'd want at least 4 per side at a minimum

Scott
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM

You really are pushing your luck with so few boxes for so many people... for 2000 we are running 9 melodies and 4 700's per side, if the is more than 2000 then milo's will be rolled out min 6 per side and 6 subs per side 3 behind 3 for cardioid