Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2010, 01:48 AM

Default Should rethink a mac software?

Just a reminder. Yamaha officially announced that they will release their live sound console softwares for mac this year. They are almost ready, the softwares will be downloadable from august.

I know it is a huge effort, but definatly think that both trustwise, and marketingwise it would be a good idea for avid to do a d-show mac version.

Yes, I know and use it under paralells, etc, but still....

I hope they reconsider this.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Should rethink a mac software?

first let me say that I am a Mac user, have been since Tiger, and I disagree. Yamaha's software is not a true mirroring of the features of the board, digi's is.

By that I mean there are features on the Yamaha consoles that are not in the software, and vice versa. Where the Venue software (stand alone) has all the features you find in the software of the console, because it is the same. Writing a mac version to appease those that can't find the 200 bucks to buy a copy of Windows XP and a virtualization software is not worth the time it would take to recode the entire program from the ground up. As that is what it would take.

I would rather see new features ie MADI come to the console making it more of a quality machine than them porting software to a new OS.

My 2 cents. Take or leave it.
Mac Pro 2x2.8GHz Quad-Core, 14gigs of ram
Macbook Pro w/Retina Display, 2.3Ghz i7, 16gigs of ram
Old 05-25-2010, 04:44 PM

I have to second Jon's thoughts. I am a Mac user, and we all love Macs, but what you are asking is for Digi to divert its limited resources from advancing a succesful platform into a mountain of code writing that will inevitably result in an inferior bug-ridden version you won't want to use anyway. Meanwhile, quality control of the original would suffer.

Ever used Microsoft Office for Mac? Yeah, I don't either because its terrible for the exact same reasons. Let Digi put all their energy into one great version of the Venue platform.

My $.02
Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM

I'm all Mac, use Venue w/ VNC to mix on my Mac Pro too often, and mess with the software on bootcamp XP. I just don't give a second thought....
Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
I know it is a huge effort, but definatly think that both trustwise, and marketingwise it would be a good idea for avid to do a d-show mac version.
I'm sure they would like to do this but the problem is Apple don't allow OS X to be an embedded operating system. Microsoft licence XP etc to be embedded for many many applications. Other manufacturers like TC Electronic and the Sytem 6000 use XP embedded so they can strip out all the O.S. stuff that isn't needed and bloats normal operation, then boot straight into the program you see running as a menu etc with it's own look/styling. Effectively you only ever see the one program running on XP (ie: Venue) and never the O.S. itself.
I can't understand why Apple don't licence OS X in the same way.. I'm sure it makes Microsoft a fortune!
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM

Well let's see, Apple just passed Microsoft as a more valuable company. Who saw that coming a couple years ago? Maybe Apple has it figured out after all. And by analogy Avid also begins with A, so by simple math, Avid does too.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 AM

I agree with many thoughts here. Yes, yamaha software is, well, not so good compared to d-show. I have the same feeling with digico's software. You can do many things, but it is a mess compared to d-show.

To be honest, I use d-show successfully under parallels, I just thought it would be a good idea to mac a native mac version. I know it will eat up many resources, and if I had to choose between new things and a ported software, of course, I will choose the new things too.

The idea came from my own experience. I saw sooooo many engineers using d-show on a mac. I saw much more mac d-show users than native win users. That is why I thought it would be good.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:06 AM

The Venue software is a Windows XP embeded version so writing a Mac version, well it just wouldn't be the same. I have designed, sold, installed, and configured MANY Venue system and on most of them I've provided MacBook's with Bootcamp and WinXP. There's no need to write Mac software because, well it wouldn't work anyway---and honestly, it's just not needed.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Although I agree with some points here, really don't understand why are you soooo against a mac version.
But ok, I live with it.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
Although I agree with some points here, really don't understand why are you soooo against a mac version.
But ok, I live with it.
Because the entire Venue system is built upon Windows XP Embedded----therefore a Mac version would be a total re-write of software and not the same thing.