Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Auto-Tune Evo

Anyone know if Auto-Tune Evo works ok on the Venue? The only reason I want Evo is because I plan to use it both live on the Venue and post in PT. I like the new graphic mode for studio tuning but will use auto live.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Auto-Tune Evo

Well, I bought it and it seems happy so far. It also appears to work better with stage noise in the background than previous versions. They claim that this is one of the major improvements in this version. They also put the tracking control on the main page instead of in options. This is nice for live. FYI, Evo is just version 6.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:08 AM

Finally, is or is not possible to use Antares Evo on Venue? I looked on the official site of Venue, on pluggins section and Antares is not listed. Thank You very much !
Old 10-06-2008, 08:00 AM

I believe that officially Auto tune is NOT a qualified plug in for Venue. That does not mean it does not work. I have heard of several people using it effectively in auto. The warnings I have heard though is that graphic will crash the plug in racks. There has been requests by many to offer a version that only has auto mode. Good luck. Don't use graphic and you will probably be fine.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamb View Post
I believe that officially Auto tune is NOT a qualified plug in for Venue. That does not mean it does not work. I have heard of several people using it effectively in auto. The warnings I have heard though is that graphic will crash the plug in racks. There has been requests by many to offer a version that only has auto mode. Good luck. Don't use graphic and you will probably be fine.
Thank You for your response. Can you tell me how can I install the TDM-Windows pluggin, that's because the extension for Venue are .dpm ?
Old 10-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Just my 2c but AutoTune on the Venue makes my other digital console buddies green with envy like no other plug-in (Except maybe the L1)!!! It also makes my clients VERY happy! I do a lot of R&B bands with 3 and 4 part harmonies and I've given up telling their producers about Auto Tune. I just tell them what a great mixer I am cause I can make them sing in tune..... Somehow the vocals always sound much better when I mix them...
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 AM

Hallo
On the vocal chanell a inserted a Comp, a Eq, a De-Esser and, finally, Antares. The problem is I need to send the non-tuned signal on the in-ear monitor of the singer, but he wants to hear the compression, the eq and the de-esser on his headephones. At first, I tried to put Autotune on the vocal group, but there is a problem: the delay and reverb remain untuned and the result will be a distonant vocal(vocal pitched and rev+delay dry). I did not want to route the reverb and delay for vocals into the vocal group, because i suppose that Autotune will not work "fine" with a "wet" vocal.
Now I splited the vocal signal from mic in two chanells, with the same gain and inserts(comp, eq, de-esser) but the second chanell without Autotune. This I send it on the aux mon, no bus-asign and the first chanell I send it on L-R. This way means I have to use every pluggin(com, eq, dee-esser) twice.
Anyone knows other way to resolve this? That's because I supposed that Venue could not give me a "aux mon point"(like the HW insert point). I think they doesn't foresee this state when they designed Venue.
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 PM

TwoPort: Talk to me, brother about how you use AutoTune in a live environment. I am going to purchase it this week. One of my main concerns are, during the show, sometimes the vocalist(s) talk during the song or inbetween songs. How does Evo effect that? What tacktics do you do use...I was thinking about having a Function button to kill all AutoTune plugins...don't know if that is possible on the VENUE or not.

If you could basically walk us through what you do...that would be great!

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-31-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
TwoPort: Talk to me, brother about how you use AutoTune in a live environment. I am going to purchase it this week. One of my main concerns are, during the show, sometimes the vocalist(s) talk during the song or inbetween songs. How does Evo effect that? What tacktics do you do use...I was thinking about having a Function button to kill all AutoTune plugins...don't know if that is possible on the VENUE or not.

If you could basically walk us through what you do...that would be great!
I'm no expert for sure and I have not updated from 5 - but here goes..

1. I set the alto/tenor or soprano voice depending on the artist and chromatic setting.
2. I slow down the attack to maybe 40 - 60 depending on the vocalist. This seems to be the magic knob as too quick of an attack results in some unnatural tracking. You have to test it with the vocalist but err on the side of slow and nothing weird will happen.

It has no impact at all on talking so I don't turn it off ever.

99% of the time I mix monitors from FOH so I use the split monitor concept and the singer never "hears" it in their wedges or IEM's. (If you notice it at all it is because you're hearing a blend of the vocalist dry and the vocalist post autotune which happens by a wedge and mains blend but it is very slight.)

IMHO it's best when you don't notice it. But look at the plug-in and it's workin' so hard it must be sweating! And like I posted before - the most dramatic result is longer held harmonies that really come together.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:45 PM

Awesome. I appreciate the information!

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |