Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Re: ProTools with OSX-- Are we going backwards??

Hey Rockridge,

I bet that Tiger is going to be a paid OSX upgrade too (again).

Len
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Hey Rockridge,

I bet that Tiger is going to be a paid OSX upgrade too (again).
If you don't want to pay for it, then stick with what you are running. I find Panther to be worth every penny of the $110 dollars it cost me. Let's not hijack this thread into a "I have to pay for the new OS?" thread.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:20 PM

Chief Technician wrote:
"If you don't want to pay for it, then stick with what you are running. I find Panther to be worth every penny of the $110 dollars it cost me. Let's not hijack this thread into a "I have to pay for the new OS?" thread".

Good point Chief..and, yes, I will concure that Panther was worth it compared to Jag/previous upgrades (but there I go crying again..boo-hoo )...and, no, we don't need (nor did I intend) another hijack.
However, it does have a tendency to become a little excessive -as alluded to in Rockridge's post (but then again it cost money to hang with the big boys now doesn't it).
Nevertheless, I'm a big boy with broad shoulders and, as usual, I will "pony-up" the cost of the upgrade probably the day it's released (I'm a glutton for technology).
I guess just looking for some conversation.
Now, back on topic please!

Len

"Want a little cheese with that whine".
Old 03-19-2005, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Max your Mac out with high quality RAM that all runs at the same speed and is made by the same manufacturer. It's worth every penny.
Stadiumrocker, thanks for your very informative post. Does the same speed of RAM make a big difference ? I added an extra 3 GB of crucial RAM to my Dual 2.5 for a total of 3.5 GB. 2 X 256 (Apple RAM) and 6 X 512 (Crucail RAM). What are the advantages, or are there any ?
You don't get a speed benefit from having all the same RAM so much as you lessen the likelihood of having problems. It's best to install the fastest RAM the system can handle, all from the same manufacturer. If you were to experience issues that seemed hardware related (ie, kernal panics, unexplained freezes, SCSI problems with an Atto card, etc), a good troubleshooting step would be to pull either the two Apple RAM cards out of the computer, or the 6 Crucial RAM cards, and see if things improved. Also make sure all your Crucial RAM is 400MHz PC3200.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:03 AM

Quote:
But if you look at what Apple has done in the last few years, you'll see that they changed almost every single part of their hardware and software. That is abusive imo.
How in the world can someone consider it "abusive" for a company to constantly innovate and produce new products? You do not have to upgrade! If I understand your thinking, you would rather have technology progress at a slower pace so you will feel less of an urge to upgrade? I don't get it.

Quote:
They went from ATA to serial ATA, PCI to PCIx, serial to USB to firewire, different RAM, different Video, and... well you get the idea.
Yeah, and back in the 90's, they went from 68000 series processors to 601, then 603, then 604, and then G3 processors, and from Nubus to PCI, and from ADB to USB, and from SCSI to ATA. It never stops. It's called progress. Why do you perceive that as a negative? If you were still running a Quadra 800 with Pro Tools 3 and it did everything you needed it to do, then...what's the problem? It works. People who relentlessly upgrade their Pro Tools rig have lost sight of the big picture. Your goal is not to own the latest greatest gizmo doodad computer system. Your goal is to make music. So, get on with it. Make music. Stop upgrading your Pro Tools rig. I often remind myself that The Beatles did almost everything with just four tracks. The greatest albums in the world were not made on a G5/HD rig running the very absolute latest version of MacOS X and Pro Tools 6.7cs538152.

Nobody has any excuses in this day and age for not producing great music (other than a lack of talent or a poor work ethic). There are no technological barriers.

Quote:
But that wouldn't bother me if i didn't have to use a version of Unix that that Apple calls OSX just to use a G5. I don't buy the competing against themselves argument, but if you do, doesn't it suggest that OS9 would win out.
Apple had OS 9 and OS X on the market simultaneously for over two years. OS 9 died. OS X prevailed.

Quote:
Mt. Everest descibed his system under OSX and you responded by implying that he didn't really how how to tweak his system. Forgive me, but that is unfair and all too typical.
Are you kidding? Dude, I posted a bunch of specific suggestions for troubleshooting OS X and improving performance. Go back and read a few pages.

Quote:
From what he has stated, he know's enough to repair permissions, run Disk Warrior, etc... but he wants to know what can be done to improve performance, other than buying more RAM.
Read everything I wrote. I offered a lot of other suggestions besides buying more RAM.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:48 AM

Microsoft sold their DOS based and NT based version of Windows at the same time all through the 90's... Gates is still the richest man in America.

OSX has been around for 3 to 4 years and it still requires tweaking?

And when Tiger comes out, will anything other than a G5 really be enough?
Old 03-19-2005, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Microsoft sold their DOS based and NT based version of Windows at the same time all through the 90's... Gates is still the richest man in America.
And how many copies of DOS have been sold lately?
Quote:
OSX has been around for 3 to 4 years and it still requires tweaking?
Windows XP is based on NT. NT has been around for how many years and still has security holes?
Quote:
And when Tiger comes out, will anything other than a G5 really be enough?
Pre-release screen shots of the installation process for Tiger indicate a B&W G3 or later. However, purely speculating, it wouldn't surprise me if you were required to own a DVD drive to install Tiger. Many of Apple's apps require that now.

To get back on track, we're moving forwards. StadiumRocker echoes some sentiment that I'm using for not upgrading to HD. You don't have to upgrade. The benefits of OS X outweighed stickiing with OS 9, which is why we did it. HD doesn't outweigh MIX until several bugs, which I've complained about in other posts, are fixed. When the software associated with HD is worthy, I'll consider upgrading. Until then, MIX and OS X is progress over MIX and OS 9.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:14 AM

Stadium rocker...I appreciate your logical approach. You have my permission to be as smarmy as you want, cause I am learning something. I know you don't need it, so no need to say that. I am just putting it out there for the ether's sake. I have printed out your troubleshooting tips and I see that you must have rearranged your points at some...point. When you say see above I guess you mean see below but I wanted to make sure you were referring to the control freak software. by jeff something. Anyway, I am learning to be renice to all my program friends.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 03-19-2005, 12:06 PM

To All :

Another week has passed and we are up to 5 pages of posts now. I was really hoping to hear someone buy now say they have solved their 'slow' problems.

I almost feel guilty that our system runs so fast. I heard someone say once that it was absolutely necessary to pull all cards and clean the contacts every once in a while. Seems like when ever anything pops up I just Reboot the PRAM and all is well after that.
A few months ago we had a variety of ODD things happening .. so we did a clean install to get rid of all the older Jaguar operating system. ...then reinstalled the latest Panther Disks. We did not use the Disks that came with the G4 ...just the newest purchased Panther. We even unplugged all Firewire jacks and replugged them in different places to get rid of an idiosyncracy.

I thought MT Everest would be reporting in with better results by now........hmmmmm. I wonder if MT is having slow problems in running other programs... or just ProTools. I wouldn't be looking at ProTools at all in that case. I wish I could Download his computer to look at it .... Maybe the new Tiger will allow us to DownLoad an entire machine... Hey Steve ........

Jon
Old 03-19-2005, 02:24 PM

Well, i guess I really dont belong on the TDM forum, since I am only an Mbox user, but I have to say that OSX for me is going forwards, not backwards. I used to be on OS9 with Pro tools, and I will admit that i had way more plug ins than OSX in Pro tools, BUT ,that was on a 800 mhz , 768 mg ram flat panel iMac, hehe. Then what entered my full flesh anxiety life was a dual 1.8 G5 baby with 1.5 gig ram, Pro tools 6.4 and Logic Express 7 (still my audio interface was the Mbox).

After hooking up my Mbox and installing Pro Tools 6.4 and and demo sesion, i was blown away by how the Mbox and the G5 handled 16 plug ins (in that demo session). Anyways, back to my points of what i am trying to get across.

Since having my G5 and Pro tools 6.4, and count 10 fingers on my hands and only maybe two of those fly up for the number of crashes i have had in nine wonderful months of pure G5 horsepower with Pro tools 6.4.

THen I boughty Logic Express 7 from a buddy of mine at Sweetwater, and Logic has been blowing my juicy mind on OSX 10.3.4 . DUAL PROCESSSOOR support, tons of crazy plug ins, tons of virtual instruments, no latency at all with my little USB MBOX...

I ONLY HAVE EXCELLENT THINGS TO SAY about OSX> even my freakin background changes every 5 minutes, how sic is that.. You will be satisfied with OSX< you will , i didnt think I would be, but i was dead wrong..

-Ross...
Pro Tools LE 6.4
Logic Express 7
Mbox