Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2005, 11:38 PM

Default ProTools with OSX-- Are we going backwards??

Does anyone else feel that Protools (as well as other DAWs) on OSX has been kind of one step forward and three steps back?

I really have been missing the days of OS9 lately. Yes, I love many many things about OSX. But Ive just about had it with how it has slowed down and hindered my work flow.

Overall sluggishness of OSX, even on a Dual 2.0 G5. Delays when opening windows, plugins and spinning beach balls. I have long since forgotten what it was like to run on a snappy OS9 Mix Plus setup. It seems like for the simplest, most basic tasks, my G5 is thinking, thinking away, really hard. Sorting thru thousands upon thousands of files just to open my plugin menu or my Bookmarks in Safari.

Not a SINGLE reliable softsynth or softsampler. Unusable latency issues with most virtual instruments. Man, Id take samplecell any day now, at this point.

Graphic intensive apps and OS that eat up precious CPU cycles just so my mom can have a pretty looking desktop and windows genie effecting and wooshing all over.

Buggy after buggy version of Protools, Which I really think is more Apples fault and Digi trying their best to keep up with Apple updates and trying to work around the cumbersome code of UNIX.

The list goes on. Again, sure, I love not having to restart after a crash, love true multi-threaded operation, and love the IDEA behind OSX. But, man, I am hating the performace hit Im taking. It seems with every update of Apple OS, Protools, and every new potentially cool virtual instrument I try, I feel like Im on my old Mac Quadra testing out betas. Who would have thought that the speed of my G5 in 2005 feels pretty much like OS8, yes 8, on my old Quadra. Its baffling!

Is this just in the Protools world or do the Logic nerds have the same issues? I wish I could just be happy with the pros and cons of OS9 vs OSX, but I really just wish that as we are moving into the future of DAW based recording, I could feel like we were moving forward, and not backwards.. But I dont see it happening.

MT
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•