Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Default Veneu and Protools Timecode doubts

Hello, I have some questions I would like to see clarified.

I am using a Veneu with two stage racks with a Protools 8.2 Show in timecode with snapshots. Occasionally I do some multitrack recording.

1 - I need to jump quickly in timeline with protools. How to play music 1, music 2 ... Fast start. How can I do? How to jump to marker 1,2,3 etc?

2 - I need the Protools stop playing when the song reaches a marker. Is it possible?

3 - I need a remote control because it is far Veneu protools. With play, stop, jump, etc.. What do you recommend? Something to place near Veneu to control protools..

4 - I saw that Protools records at 48kHz with Veneu. How can I increase the sampling frequency for a better live recording?

5 - This is not really a question but i think that would be great to have this on Veneu Snapshots:
In one music I have for example 5 snapshots with timecode. The music starts at 1:00:00:00 and the first fires 5 seconds later, the second 5 seconds later (at 1:00:10:00) and so on... I know the time diference between those snapshots in the music. Why don't make a "folder" for each song with one timecode offset? If i change the music i've to change all the next timecode markers... Imagine that in a Show with 14 musics and change the intro theme...

Before working with Protools i've worked with SOUNDSCAPE and they had a "Play till next marker" option... Jump between markers was much simpler. Just had to enter the number of marker and then stop (if playing). Immediately he jumped to the marker indicated.

Thanks in advance for the tips!

Ricardo Caldeira
Portugal

Quote:
Olá, tenho algumas dúvidas que eu gostaria de ver esclarecidas.

Estou a usar uma Veneu com duas racks de palco e Protools num Espectáculo em Timecode com snapshots. Pontualmente faço algumas gravações em multipistas.

1 - Necessito de saltar rápidamente no tempo no protools. Como tocar musica 1, musica 2... Como o posso fazer? Como saltar para um determinado marcador?

2 - Preciso que o Protools pare de tocar a música quando chega ao fim de uma música, tempo ou um marcador. É possível?

3 - Preciso de um controlador remoto porque o protools está longe Veneu. Com play, stop, saltar para marcador 1, etc. O que recomendam?

4 - Constatei que o Protools apenas grava a 48kHz com a Veneu. Como posso aumentar a frequência de amostragem?

Obrigado,
Ricardo Caldeira
Portugal
Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Veneu and Protools Timecode doubts

As far as remotely controlling your PT session... I would recommend you use a laptop or tablet pc/iPad to remotely connect to the machine and control it that way. Works very well.

VENUE is locked to 48k when recording to ProTools. For live it will give you a great sound, and quite honestly...the recorded tracks sound very good as well.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmillerjr View Post
As far as remotely controlling your PT session... I would recommend you use a laptop or tablet pc/iPad to remotely connect to the machine and control it that way. Works very well.

VENUE is locked to 48k when recording to ProTools. For live it will give you a great sound, and quite honestly...the recorded tracks sound very good as well.
Thanks Kenmillerjr!
I already have a tablet for that (and Veneu) but it´s still difficult to operate.

About the sampling frequency i agree with you but sometimes i've got "clients" that want more... I thought it was possible to change it.

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 AM

I've found when using an application to remotely control a computer, it typically works better if you are on a wired portion on the network for that. I know it is a little more inconvenient, but with PT you need a really good connection. You don't want any lag.

Does anyone know why the VENUE's are locked to 48K?

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Ricardo,

I'm not sure why they're locked at 48k, but I know if you ever work with video people they live in 48k, so interfacing with them is nice and easy...

I'm not 100% clear on point number 5, but let me see if I can get it...

You've figured out that with MTC, the console can read the timecode and trigger snapshots when it sees a specified timecode value. BUT, if you change some intro music to something longer or shorter, all those timecode values change...

What about starting the show at 10minutes (or something similar), and giving yourself plenty of space in front, so that if you insert a longer or shorter piece, the values of all the songs never change... The only thing changing is the start time of your intro music...

Does that help? Am I understanding correctly? I DO like the folder idea. I know there are some threads on ideascale asking for some type of grouping capability in snapshots... But until then, maybe this is the way to work around the issue?

Jason
Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM

There was a thread a couple years ago I started about this and got some great responses. I wound up controlling location, transport start/stop from snapshots within D-Show and it worked flawlessly every time. We used about 70 songs and I could re-arrange snapshots as the transport commands were part of the snapshot.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Do you have a link? Or know the name of the thread?

...for easy referencing/searching in future...
Old 12-09-2010, 02:43 PM

Geez... I couldn't find it... But the integration is rock solid with a MIDI interface and Venue sends the timecode and PT is slave. PT becomes a fully automated device driven from Venue. Dang it was extremely simple once the snapshot entries were explained.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:07 PM

Here's the link to the forum post with a description of how to control Pro Tools with Venue snapshots and MIDI. http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=213957

Go to the second page to get the full description.
I just did this with my christmas show and it was awesome, worked perfectly. The only downside is you cannot use digi hardware for the MIDI as you cannot use Venue with PT and another Digi device. I had an Edirol FA-101 for my MIDI in/out and then had multiple tracks playing back on the venue. You can find a USB to MIDI adapter for cheap on the internet.

Have fun!
Sacramento, CA
Old 12-14-2010, 12:21 PM

Talking Re: Veneu and Protools Timecode doubts

THANK YOU ALL!

That is what we need! Never thought in slave PT... But now i've figured out...

Thank you all. It helped me a lot!

Ricardo Caldeira
Portugal