Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2010, 04:25 PM

Default Using Pro Tools for Plug Ins

Has anyone ever used a Pro Tools session and routed channels back and forth using the plug ins in Pro Tools? I have an SC48 and just want to free up some DSP. I was thinking maybe I could do this via RTAS plug ins on my PT LE set up.

Justin
Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Using Pro Tools for Plug Ins

Honestly brother, I am not sure if that is going to work for you...but it is worth a shot. What effects are you looking at using in the PT Session? dynamic or time-based?

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 09-25-2010, 07:20 AM

Hey Justin,

The only issue you're gonna have is no ADC. Ken is correct that if this is for time-based effects it may not be as noticeable. I wouldn't try to do any parallel compression this way as the phasing would drive you nuts. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Is it 30 Plug-ins you are limited to with the SC48? What all do you have stacked in your rack? (heh, that rhymes)

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 AM

25 plugin limit, 5 per rack. This is presumably a completely arbitrary limit imposed to encourage people to buy Mix Racks . The SC48 has the same amount of DSP as a standard Mix Rack IIRC.

If i were you, i'd look at using more efficient plugins. Stuff by people like Massey and URS make excellent sounding plugins that are extremely efficient
Old 09-25-2010, 10:57 AM

On the SC48 you can only use 20 Plugins and I have been at that for a while. I wasn't planning on doing any parallel compression this way.

Justin
Old 09-25-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2sound View Post
On the SC48 you can only use 20 Plugins and I have been at that for a while. I wasn't planning on doing any parallel compression this way.

Justin
I'm hoping to see this limitation freed up as this board has limited dsp anyways. Limiting it's capabilities further is a shame.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:57 PM

works fine for time based fx as stated above... I did it with a couple of different delays and reverbs and it was nice, but I got sick of going back and forth between the laptop and the console to change presets.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Maybe SC48 is just not the best choice here. I spend a decent amount of time on Profile/D-Show systems and rarely get beyond a dozen plugins and get plenty of use from the standard dynamics and EQ(usually run 6-7 effects and a few "character" compressors). Maybe my needs are shorter due to the fact that most of my stuff is one-offs(not much time to decide what to use beyond getting up a solid mix). If you are touring with an act and really want to nail down every last ounce of "tweak" then I would have to say the SC48 is not the best hardware(just an opinion). Consider the intended market for the desk(vs. the more powerful systems). The SC48 was really marketed to be an M7 killer(and I'd call that a success for the most part), and not a cheaper replacement for a full-blown Profile rig.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM

I was doing this a bunch about a year ago with a Pro Tools HD rig. But it was somewhat of an experiment to automate effects for Venue Tracks that were playing to a Pro Tools time line. It worked fine and was interesting for a minute..... Doesn't hurt to try it as the capability is certainly there.