Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Hotter Signal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
You really are pushing your luck with so few boxes for so many people... for 2000 we are running 9 melodies and 4 700's per side, if the is more than 2000 then milo's will be rolled out min 6 per side and 6 subs per side 3 behind 3 for cardioid
Our balcony is probably 500+ seats divided up into 5 zones with 1 UPQ-1P for each zone.

Dave
Old 06-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Yes yes yes - I realize what you're saying is true about the number of speakers, etc. I misspoke. They are not concerts for 2000 people. They are corporate or wedding events that have maybe 250 people on a dance floor and another bunch of people milling around at tables or something like that... Really they only need it "hot" for a max of 300 people. Yes, I wish I had more and hope to acquire more of them..... (I rent line arrays for bigger stuff...)

Anyway the gain issue is a known issue (apparently...) for the particular combination of Meyers and Venue from the analog outs. Getting the gain must come from another piece of equipment after the analog outs... I do wish I had the Galileo as it would also do other things that would be helpful..
Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Sound Audio View Post
Yes yes yes - I realize what you're saying is true about the number of speakers, etc. I misspoke. They are not concerts for 2000 people. They are corporate or wedding events that have maybe 250 people on a dance floor and another bunch of people milling around at tables or something like that... Really they only need it "hot" for a max of 300 people. Yes, I wish I had more and hope to acquire more of them..... (I rent line arrays for bigger stuff...)

Anyway the gain issue is a known issue (apparently...) for the particular combination of Meyers and Venue from the analog outs. Getting the gain must come from another piece of equipment after the analog outs... I do wish I had the Galileo as it would also do other things that would be helpful..
Yes you might be right... I never really thought about this but after talking to you about this in this thread I started thinking that no matter with analog or digital out or galileos in the middle I always need to run my output pretty hot with Meyer gear compared to other PA systems. Actually headroom is not the right word as I keep the mixing levels (mix bus headroom) constant and regulate the level going out of the board with how high I put the Waves L3 LL output ceiling that lives on my master bus. With sensitive systems I can leave it @ around -18 to -14 dbfs (usually when BSS omnidrives are used as processors BTW) then it's trickier with XTA's (never liked these boxes anyway) and now with Meyers I need to push all the way up to range close to the -6 to dbfs to have it smacking in the audience area.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
Yes you might be right... I never really thought about this but after talking to you about this in this thread I started thinking that no matter with analog or digital out or galileos in the middle I always need to run my output pretty hot with Meyer gear compared to other PA systems. Actually headroom is not the right word as I keep the mixing levels (mix bus headroom) constant and regulate the level going out of the board with how high I put the Waves L3 LL output ceiling that lives on my master bus. With sensitive systems I can leave it @ around -18 to -14 dbfs (usually when BSS omnidrives are used as processors BTW) then it's trickier with XTA's (never liked these boxes anyway) and now with Meyers I need to push all the way up to range close to the -6 to dbfs to have it smacking in the audience area.
According to the data sheet for the UPQ, the onset of limiting is 0 dBV, and it looks like it's the same for every other Meyer box. The converter I used says that 0 dBV is the equivalent of a little over +2 dBu. So I would assume that as your console output goes up, it will get harder to get the speakers to get louder.

But, I would still think you could get enough out of those boxes to cover 2-300 people.

Dave
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Wow that's surprising. 0dBV would be an awfully low level to start hitting limiters! But sure enough, I checked the specs and that's what it says. The spec is actually a bit confusing because it it lists that information under the heading "Nominal Input Sensitivity," which would likely relate to the input sensitivity of the amplifier module in the box. The specs also state that the audio source should be capable of producing +20dBV into 600 ohms to produce peak SPL from the box. I'm not sure how they reconcile those two specs?