Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2023, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Unable to record audio

Hello. I know that I sad that I wanted to close this topic but I've done the following : I logged in on internal mac os hdd drive and run the application but when I wanted to record audio I got the same disk allocation error.I even unplugged my external ssd(mac os) but got the same error. Can this be a bug?
Old 06-10-2023, 10:16 PM

No it won't be a bug. It will be something you are doing.

None of this makes a lot of sense. To start with: if the internal HDD is too slow to boot/run from then it's likely too slow to record to. You likely should be recording to the external SSD you have booted from. Either way start by trying to do that, creating and saving a new empty session to your Documents folder on that external drive (which should be ~/Documents aka /Users/<your account>/Documents).

I do a lot of work with my MacBook Pro booted from an external M.2 PCIe SSD and recoding to that SSD or to other M.2 SSD, sometimes recording to the internal SSD on the Mac Book Pro. All this will work and is usable if you set stuff up properly.

Any problem is likely some filesystem or Pro Tools volume permission problem. We cannot guess, you keep dribbling information out here. If you want help you need to provide clear information. Ideally in one post, what filesystem types on all the different drives, what exact make/model drives, where exactly you are recording to, what ownership permissions of that drive/folder is, what is the uid and gid of your user account, etc. etc. We are three pages in on this thread and it's not even clear mac you have and stuff you are saying and your DUC system profile info don't agree. If you want to keep goign here start over by reading "Help Us Help You" up the top of each DUC web page and provide one very detailed post about your setup, exact versions of everything, exactly what you are doing, other stuff asked for etc.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-10-2023 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-11-2023, 01:33 AM

Problem fixed.
Finally it can record on another external ssd.I tweaked around the permissions.
Thanks
Old 06-11-2023, 01:47 AM

Great you got going. So it was UNIX file systems permissions?

(That can happen a lot when migrating systems/accounts).
Old 06-12-2023, 04:00 AM

It was actually the disk allocation. It seems to be an issue how the drive was formatted . so on the other external ssd drive can be recorded audio.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1985 View Post
It was actually the disk allocation. It seems to be an issue how the drive was formatted . so on the other external ssd drive can be recorded audio.
You can erase and reformat the errant disc in Disk Utility inside the Mac "Utility" application folder

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...