Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2002, 01:26 PM

Default Re: New Hammer info

works with 32bit and DDR chipsets - NICE! that means the only upgrade is the CPU (and a new microphone and a converter and maybe some new monitors....)
Old 02-26-2002, 02:44 PM

Funny Brian,
Everything in your life comes in three. Hea hea.

Hey I'm ready to put a 3Ghz in my computer and pick up 40 more tracks and 200 plugins. Whew. Life is good and getting better.

Allen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2002, 02:51 PM

Allen, guys...
Forgive me for not doing my homework better, but any idea on a ballpark price for it yet?

Thanks, Roy
Old 02-26-2002, 04:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
works with 32bit and DDR chipsets - NICE! that means the only upgrade is the CPU ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be nice but I doubt that that will be the case. I expect the new Die for the .13 micron technology will have a different Planform with different pins, different size, etc...

No, I think it will require a new mobo and RAM too. My "guess" is, that "Backwards Compatibility w/32 Bits" is software only. I may be wrong, but that's what I think.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>" This future family of microprocessors will also feature a high-performance integrated memory controller and a high-speed scalable system bus using HyperTransport(tm) technology. " <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has "new chipset" written all over it in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:12 AM

I am sure it will require new hardware. I would hope it requires some new/faster ram. The biggest thing hurting amd right now is their memory bandwith bottlenecks. The new ddr333 ram is out, but that is even slow compared to the dual channel rdram that is out. I hope that the new mobo's support dual channel DDR ram this would essentially double the memory bandwidth and put the memory access on a similar level as p4's dual rambus channel mobos.

Anyway i am very much looking forward to the hammers.

Christian
Old 02-27-2002, 12:15 AM

Default New Hammer info

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=106041
Old 02-27-2002, 12:41 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>AMD expects to begin shipping the first version of the "Hammer" family of processors at the end of 2002. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This fits my normal upgrade schedule (every other year). Guess I'll have to dump my 'ol PIII and jump on the AMD bandwagon. Still waiting for VIA to improve their PCI Bus throughput though.

The .13 mircron technology is the thing I'm most interested in (lower power consumption = less heat).

That HyperTransport Technology looks interesting too but we may not see any benefit from that if the application & OS have to be specifically written to take advantage of it (Pentium 4's seem to be suffering from that). Kinda' looks like they do.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>About HyperTransport(tm) Technology

HyperTransport technology is a high-speed, high-performance, point-to-point link for integrated circuits, and is designed to meet the bandwidth needs of tomorrow's computing and communications platforms. It helps reduce the number of buses while providing a high-performance link for PCs, workstations, and servers, as well as numerous embedded applications and highly scalable multiprocessing systems. HyperTransport technology is designed to allow chips inside of PCs, networking and communications devices to communicate with each other up to 48 times faster than with some existing bus technologies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-27-2002, 04:33 PM

Bulf loads of new Hammer info, yes it will require new logic board and ram. So what, PC stuff is SOOOOOOOO cheap

There ar numerous reports here with pic's
http://www.amdmb.com/

Laiterz
Targon