Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2001, 01:43 PM

Default Does Logic work at all with 001???

I'm a Logic user who's been on the fence about getting a Digi 001 for audio purposes in my home studio. After reading the threads on Digi/Emagic communication problems I'm wondering if Logic and the 001 work together at all. Is anyone successfully using both and if so how is your system configured? I've never had any problems in Logic but I like the simplicity and intuitiveness of the 001 interface. I'm just not sure I should make this move when I could use the money elsewhere. Any suggestions? Also is this "exploding" noise serious? (How does a recording system continue to sell when it makes exploding sounds?!). Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-15-2001, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Does Logic work at all with 001???

Hey man, do what I did: I bought a Motu 2408 mk2, and use Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase, Peak, Spark and whatnot… I'm perfectly happy with it, it has Worldclock integration, 8 adat + 8 tdif X 3 i/o… Super expandable… Very easy to configure… (forget about using the digi 001 midi i/o with Logic…)

I use Waves Gold Bundle plug-ins, and have never heard any exploding sound. I don't why people keep on buying 001s with all the problems surrounding the unit… And don't no either why Digi seems so reluctant to improve their product! If you are a pro, and willing to go for the "strange exploding sound machine", first imagine the face of your heart-attacked clients with their headphones on their heads…

Regards, Edouard
Old 03-15-2001, 04:45 PM

I use Logic on a Digi001, without problems. I have been using the combination for over a year, and it only took me about 10 minutes to get the board installed and Logic working with it. I have now upgraded to a G4-533MP, and it seems to be running Logic 4.6.3 quite fine. There were a couple of snags in the beginning, but with PTLE 5.1, it is ironed out. I highly recommend the combination.
Old 03-15-2001, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Clearly I should do a little more research. I think the MOTU interface is great Eduard, but I've been looking forward to using PTLE. Its simple and straight-forward and actually looks like I would save time using it. Don't get me wrong I love Logic, but its massive scope can bog you down. The new controller does looks pretty cool though...and with the EXS24...hmm...(you can see where this is going!)
Old 03-15-2001, 06:51 PM

The problem of recording midi with Logic thur the 001 has been solved with the release of Direct Connect 5.1. You can download it from the Digidesign webpage. I have not heard anyone complain about the new Direct Connect 5.1. I would assume it is working fine. If you are thinking about using MOTU check out their new firewire interface.
Old 03-15-2001, 11:37 PM

Just a little addendum: Emagic just announced the release of the vst version of EXS 24… I'll get it!
Old 03-16-2001, 01:34 AM

Logic isn't all that hard to use. And once you know it it's really worth it.

------------------
David.

6am eternal

6am eternal
Old 03-16-2001, 04:55 PM

To me, going from Logic to PTLE seemed like a giant step backward. Logic's plug-ins are better, too. My PTLE CD sits just beneath a Jack 'n Coke most days, where it's better served. I guess if you do a lot of loop-based editing PTLE might look better, but I felt that I had stepped out of an INDY car into a Pinto.