Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Multiple OMF Import

Hey everyone!

We are doing the audio post for a TV show and the editors have sent us 5 OMFs, cut at their "acts" to get around the 2 gb limit. Hopefully, this is a simple answer, but is there a way to import them all, matching the tracks and keeping the volume automation.

Right now when we import the first OMF with automation, import the second by matching the tracks. When we go to view the automation, it's all gone except the last imported OMF.

Our workaround, since we need to have this done soon, is to just add them as new tracks and copy the regions and automation to the tracks. Is there a better way?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Multiple OMF Import

In version 9.0, I'm not having automation written over when importing more than one OMF. I can't recall ever running a version that did that. I just checked in a room running 7.4 and that system doesn't have that behavior either.

I'd assume you are clicking "Import - Overlay new on existing playlists", otherwise it would blow over the audio regions as well. I think it's version specific to your system.

-Richard

www.TakomaMedia.com
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 AM

Yeah, we're running 7.4 over here. Thanks for checking it out for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 AM

I think the best way around this is to export based on audio tracks and not on Acts. IN either FCP or AVID, they can export the first 4-6 (or however many) tracks and disable the others. Then disable 1-6, and export 7-12 (or whatever) and so on. Much easier all the way around.

Unless they already set it up in Acts. We always use a mix template, and leave a copy of the OMF hidden and inactivated in the sesssion. But the OMF tracks are "as is". So, import Act 1, drag to template. Import Act 2, drag to template. This way, you are not over writing everything. Combine OMF's into only the audio tracks it needs.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks, Tom! I will definitely let the editor know.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:43 PM

dont forget to click Overlay new on existing playlist when importing the omf or else it will blow out everyhtin
Old 01-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Overlay on top of existing playlist is selected, it was just the volume automation that is being undone. We needed it mostly because the editors turned the volume down rather than just muting (and getting rid of) audio that wasn't in use.

We have all the parts together now using the import as new tracks, then dragging the audio and automation into the correct preexisting track. I was just looking for a faster way to do things for upcoming shows.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:08 PM

I have encountered a number of different problems with OMFs so I decode all the individual OMFs by themselves (one at the time to make as many PT sessions as required). Then I just import session data (from the sessions that the OMFs created) onto my main template session. I also keep the original OMF unchanged and hidden and non-activated in the session at all times.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:56 AM

If I'm doing something like this I just import to new tracks and move the 2nd / 3rd / 4th act onto the tracks created for the 1st act, then delete the spare tracks. It's a tiny amount more work but I find it a lot more predictable
Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM

In 7.4 the automation was blown away when doing this. It was fixed I believe by 7.4.2 but definitely by 8 you could import without losing automation/regions as you are expecting.

Previous answer to similar question: http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1303467&postcount=5

Ceri
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor