Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-1998, 01:14 PM

Default Sound Designer

My issue with Sound Designer is related to CD Mastering. I would like to see a robust product that can compete with current Windows products that basically combine Sound Designer with MasterList. And, allow full TDM real time processing as well as ProTools style fades. I typically start a mastering session by recording audio mixes into ProTools so I can use L1 and do fade in and out, setting my exact start point and out point. I could use Sound Designer but, no plug-ins on PCI version. And besides they would not be TDM so I would need to bounce to disk even then. Anyway, I then process thru a Master Fader (stereo) via L1 and whatever else is needed (EQ) etc. Then Bounce to disk. Then I import to MasterList or Jam. Although MasterList seems more robust, Jam is faster and works with 4x CD Drives. To do this in MasterList requires creating a image file which then takes up yet another chunk of Hard Drive space Keep in mind we have recorded in the original split stereo file, bounced the file out and now we need to create an image file as well. Even with cheap Hard Drives this gets cumbersome. Maybe Peak could take over Masterlist We need the ability to do the mastering editing, fades and TDM processing in the CD List program.
Old 07-30-1998, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Sound Designer

Which version of MLCD do you use? v2 is faster than earlier versions and may allow you to burn at x4 speed. It certainly allows me to burn at x2 on my 8100/100 without an image file. With v1.4 I needed an image file.
Old 08-02-1998, 12:36 AM

I can not use MLCD V 2.x because I have a ProTools III system. Although I spent the money for a 2.0 version upgrade the version for ProTools II users is 1.4.1 which still does not allow 4x writes to a Yamaha CD400 despite the fact that JAM does it fine. go figure.
Old 08-07-1998, 02:23 PM
Avid

Mark,

You can use version 2.0 if you have a powermac. The only difference is that you will monitor the output of Masterlist CD through the Mac sound outputs instead of your PT III hardware.

There is no sound degredation by doing this.

If you use 2.x you should have the ability to burn at 4x without an image file.

Thanks,

Jon Connolly
Old 08-08-1998, 07:23 PM

I don't understand this. Are you really saying that a Mac's DA converters can really be as good as an 888, or 882 for that matter?! In my experience, it's vital that client's hear the best possible reproduced sound from MLCD to aid final decisions before creating the CD master e.g. fades.
Old 08-10-1998, 03:14 PM

You can certainly use MLCD v2 on PTIII, but you have to trick the installer into believing you have no Digi hardware. I did it by installing onto another Mac and copying it over. Regarding monitor quality, I set up the Masterlist and PQ using v1.4 monitoring via my 888 as usual, then use v2 to burn the CD-Rs.
Old 08-11-1998, 08:27 AM
Avid

In response to Will's comment..."Are you really saying that a Mac's DA converters can really be as good as an 888, or 882 for that matter?!"

The Mac's D/A converters are definitely NOT as good as an 888 or 882 but the 888 and/or 882 have nothing to do with the CD writing process of MLCD. A CD write is a digital transfer from the Mac/MLCD to the CD writer and therefore will not be affected by whatever way to you choose to monitor Masterlist CD.

Please keep in mind that by the time you are ready to write a CD, all editing, mixing, mastering, etc. should be completed in Pro Tools (or where ever). Your client should already be satisfied with the mix/mastering before the disc writing process is even considered.

Masterlist CD has NO editing or mastering capabilities other than gain changes and crossfades so all you are monitoring in MLCD would be crossfades and the relative gain of each track. So if you can keep this in mind it may be worth the increased write speed of using the mac instead of the Digi hardware for monitoring.

In response to Dave's comment... there is no tricking necessary. The MLCD installer clearly states what the options are...

Option 1) Pro Tools 24, AM III or host based which installs MLCD version 2.x.

Option 2) Pro Tools III hardware which installs MLCD version 1.4x.

You can install both if you'd like and launch which version you would like...

Thanks,

Jon Connolly
Old 08-14-1998, 12:22 AM

hi jim

so you're saying that the decisions made in masterlist as to song spacing, etc are unaffected by the quality of the converters? that all the mlcd developement re file length, starts, crossfades are just mechanical? glad you're not my mastering engineer!

m
Old 08-17-1998, 05:24 PM

Dear TechSupt,

With respect, this is all wrong! What about track spacing decisions? We all know that the audio data transfer is via SCSI and not the D/A converters! But, in monitoring the final format of an album in MLCD (not really possible at any earlier stage), the quality of the analogue reproduction is *extremely* important, especially when determining track spacing if the outgoing track fades away. Given a professional, quiet control room, the S/N performance of the D/A converters used could be an issue. Same goes for relative gain adjustment. I'm surprised you appear unaware of the importance of MLCD in this respect - it's not simply a data-transferer!

Regards,

Will Thomson.
Old 08-18-1998, 08:15 PM

Wow, what a load of stuff about the MLCD 2.0vs 1.4 item in my posting. I would like to add one comment to this and then remind anyone out there that I really felt that the bigger issue is that MLCD is being usurped in the marketplace by programs that allow full sound editing as well as CD List Mastering.
My comment on the strings of replys is this:
Why can't Masterlist work correctly (i.e. thru Digi PT III hardware) when the competition (JAM) can easily do it. I think unfortunately, it has to do with Digidesign trying to get us all over to the d24 systems. Fair enough, but in the meantime (until I can afford it) I think the MLCD upgrade should work fully that is burn at 4x when PT III hardware is the monitoring system. And, either Digidesign or someone should up the ante on Mac based mastering systems.