Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Default Alesis vs. Pro Tools

Currantly I'm using a Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire for live multitrack recording with my Band and it's a pain. I always need to switch the playback engine from Pro Tools Aggregate to Alesis Firewire for recording, otherwise I can't select the different tracks as Inputs - that way it works - sometimes... sometimes again magically it doesn't work at all. I'm starting to believe that it has got something to do with Alesis in combination with Pro Tools 'cause I'm using an Alesis QX 49 for MIDI recording - and basically it's all fine but the transport buttons of the Keyboard Controller won't be recognized by Pro Tools.

Am I right that for MIDI Keyboards on Pro Tools it is best to use one from M-Audio? Same question for the multitrack mixer: Are there mixers that can be definitely recommended especially for use in Pro Tools?

Would be a pleasure if someone could help me out.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM

A M-Audio MIDI Keyboard/Controller with Hypercontrol may help. And more than transport will work out of the box.

The other thing - never record with an aggregate device as long as you don't need it. Use your native drivers for your devices.
MacBook Pro i7 Quad 2.6GHz 16GB RAM
ProTools 2020.11
Avid S1
Avid Dock
Avid Control
Digidesign Command|8
macOS Catalina
MOTU 4pre
MOTU Track16
Axiom Pro 25
LinnStrument 128
Roli Seaboard Block

tons of stomp boxes
tube amps
guitars
noise
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Alesis vs. Pro Tools

For straight mid recording(notes), most any midi-capable keyboard is fine. To actually control Pro Tools(like using transport buttons) then yes, using an M-Audio controller would be better, but you really have some other options you maybe didn't think about(yet). For transport, assuming you can't be within arm's reach of the computer keyboard, there are a few options, from remote control off an iPad, Frontier Tranzport or the Presonus FaderPort(what I use). I also have my PC setup with a local USB mouse and keyboard, and a second keyboard/trackpad on 30' PS2 cables(with a 30' VGA cable) so I can control my PT session from behind the drumkit or the vocal booth.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM

ALESIS hasn't been relevant since the DIGI 001 that I should have bought instead

I didn't even read the post just a comment on the title
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM

I use a Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 mixer as an interface for Pro Tools and it works great. I just use an old K5000S to do the midi stuff, but usually that is only drums and bass.

-dj
16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.5
PT 2019.10 (last one)
Waves Gold/RenMaxx v11
iZotope Ozone 8
Focusrite Clarett 8Pre

Nord Stage 3
Nord Lead A1
DSI Mopho X4
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausiii View Post
never record with an aggregate device as long as you don't need it. Use your native drivers for your devices.
Do you mean the Built-In Microphone by "an aggregate device"? Don't know what you mean, I always do it that way: I connect the Mixer with my Computer then start Pro Tools, make sure the mixer is selected as device for sound Input in the Audio MIDI Setup and hope the device will show up in my I/O. But it doesn't. Only through changing the Playback Engine from "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O" to "Alesis Firewire" it's channels show up in the I/O so I can route my audio tracks' inputs to it. Lately not even that worked!

Now I'm thinking about buying another mixer and selling the Alesis. Surely somebody in here knows that: For what kind of mixer do I need to search when I want to record multiple tracks and get them as separated tracks into my computer instead of a stereo summ? Is it a Multitrack Mixer? And thanks for the recommendations some already made but the size of my pears is not big enough for those great devices. I get big eyes looking up what you guys are using, but I can effort like 650 $ (500 €) for a mixer.

@ albee1952: Thanks for the tips! I'm thinking about that, might be more expensive but surely will last longer than a Keyboard/Controller mix device...
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starting User View Post
I can effort like 650 $ (500 €) for a mixer.
Do you really need a mixer or will just preamps do.
Check out Mackie they make a cool firewire mixer that does 16 ins at a time.
Possibly as many outs as well. I believe this will act as a PT interface but maybe not . If pre amps will do MOTU has some that can be used to go direct into a daw as a interface.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM

Yes, a preamp would do as well. How do I see, whether a usb or firewire mixer or preamp gives me separate tracks instead of the stereo master summ? Is there a certain criteria I can look for?