Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 AM

Default IoX card in Mixrack system

At our Venue we've got a digidesign system consisting of a profile+mixrack system at FOH and a SC48 on monitors.
We've got another room which has a venue system at FOH and a profile venue system at monitors.
In this last room we are using the IoX card at FOH and monitors and since we got used to that we want to have the same option in our mixrack+profile system in the other room.

Both Mixrack and venue system have exactly the same connectors for putting in a IoX card, but the supplier of the boards says it's not possible to hook them up.

So the question is : can we try to put our IoX card in the mixrack and connect it so it works? Has anyone tried this before?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:30 AM

Default Re: IoX card in Mixrack system

The IOX card is meant to put into the DSHOW or PROFILE FOH racks, well "rack" as it's the same box. For the PROFILE MIXRACK, that is a completely different design. While the card slots are the same, it's a different protocol.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 AM

Since we have both systems at my venue and i have a screwdriver near my hand, i had the guts of unscrewing the front of both the mixrack and the D-show system racks.
If you take a peek inside, you'll see that both these systems have exactly the same connectors and design.
Why would these systems have different protocols? they both have the same hardware and software.
The only thing you're doing whit putting in a IOX card is connecting it to the IO card, why would that be different on Mixrack or D-Show FOH Rack?

Did you actually try to do this? Or is it the same i've been hearing all over, that's it's impossible, cause digidesign says so?
Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that it's NOT compatible which means I am NOT 100% If you'll email me directly (so I can keep it in front of me) at [email protected] I'll hunt this down for you.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:57 AM

My guess is that there will be some sort of software code that will not allow you to do this even if you were able to hook it up. I know some guys that put four DSP cards in their mixrack because they had them, but the software would not allow you to use it. The slot is there and they said they could hook it up, but no bueno. I think it gets into the manufacturer separating their product lines.

Nicolas
Old 10-15-2010, 11:19 AM

Could be indeed, that's what i was wondering about.
Maybe i need to work the software then.....hahaha!
Anyhow, since it might not be working when i put it in, it definitly can't hurt after all. (it is and will always be a computer!)
Having lot's of people still bringing in their own outboard the IOX card would be great to have so we don't have to unhook our outboard gear to plug in their gear.
I will probabaly give it a shot on monday and let you know!
But in the meantime, still if anyone tried it, post it up here so i know if i will have to put in the effort of trying.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 AM

So it works......
Indeed, the interface is not completely compatible with the IOX card, which means that some of te screw holes which the FOH rack has are not in place on the mixrack. The power lines are just too short, but there's nothing an "avid" sound engineer can't fix.
Extend the power lines, and fix your IOX card on the inside with a ty-rap or drill some new holes in your casing.
Tested everyting and everything works, the card got recognised immediately without any errors.
We're all very happy people now....!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bop View Post
So it works...We're all very happy people now...
That, my friend...is pretty impressive!

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM

Hello, Bop.
Very interesting.
Just curious, in what position in the Mixrack did you put the IOx?
Maybe just below the AO16, in the blank space?
Is it possible to post any pic?
Our Mixrack has three AI16 and two AO16.
Maybe it's a good idea to change one AO16 for a IOx, for
certain applications, maybe it can be more useful.
Maybe someone could put a fourth AI16, instead, to have 64 recallable
mic inputs...
Can we start calling those procedures "Venue Hardware Hacks" ?
Since Avid obviously doesn't support those procedures, it's a good
thing that brave pioneers like you can test those changes, so
other users, like me, don't need to risk our expensive Venue hardware on those tests.
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Mario Jorge Andrade
Recife - Brazil.
Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 AM

Hey Mario,

i put the IOX card just under the IO card, since the grey ribbon cables which connect the IOX to the IO are very short.
Then we have three AI16 cards underneath and 1 AO16 card under that.
16 outputs is sufficient for us since we are feeding the PA processors digitally via AES/EBU which are also on the IOX card.
Outboard effects are also fed via AES/EBU, some with a AES-->SPDIF transformer so we don't have the noise generated by the analog outputs of the FX and ofcourse to minimize latency.
Since we've got a separate monitor board (SC48) we don't use that many auxiliaries on FOH.(just for returns or sometimes for monitors from FOH,that's mainly for DJ nights or very simple bands)

I don't have another AI16 card lying around, so i won't be able to try if mixrack can handle 64 inputs. But i guess if it can have 48 in + 32 out, it will be able to handle 64 in+16 out as well.
Although the resellers told me it is not possible, just as they told me it's not possible to have an IOX card in there.

Somebody willing to give it a try?

I will try to put some pictures up later this week.