Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Using plugin meters as a reference for mixing

I've been experimenting with different meter plugins and now I am looking for some feedback from the DUC. I am switching among the Waves PAZ meter, BF Essential Meterbridge, and the PSP freeware meter that Rail recommended. The BF and the PSP are similar in that they seem to respond more like an analog meter. I have them set to -20dbFS=0VU and both switched to peak. The problem with both of these meters is that anything below -30dbFS doesn't even register and everything above -15 is totally pinned. This is Ok for dialog, but for FX and backgrounds their limited range is not very helpful. I mostly use my ears and calibrated speakers for mixing FX, but it is also helpful to have a more scientific reference so I can have a good idea of where things sit in the mix. Also, since I am still learning, it's helpful to know what sounds good at which level on the meter. So, now I'm using Waves' PAZ Meter which is extremely sensitive and has a very wide range. My questions are a) should I be looking at the left and right meters or the summed meter in the middle, and b)should I have the weighting set for A,B,C or =? If anyone has experience with the PAZ Meter I would appreciate your input. Or if you have general meter knowledge you would like to pass on, that would be cool too. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Using plugin meters as a reference for mixing

Personally, I haven't found the PAZ volume meters to be helpful in the least. (The frequency and phase elements are occasionally useful.) The BF are the only software meters I've ever even though came close to a real outboard meter.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:28 PM

Try the InspectorXL from Elemental Audio. Other than the fact it's RTAS which makes it nearly useless in today's RTAS environment, it's a very nice meter with alarms, different ballistic types and scales.

Nothing that looks like a real VU meter though if that's what you want.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:08 PM

Use C weighting with slow response (if that's an option) on the PAZ meters, as those are the settings you used when you calibrated your room with pink noise.

There are going to be RTAS changes in Pro Tools v7 (WAVES spilled the beans when they released GTR and had to explain why it doesn't operate as HTDM). Perhaps that Elemental business will be more useful then?

Search this forum for a thread about the BombFactory meters. That plug-in should be renamed the Eseentially Useless Meter Bridge.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:15 PM

I think I understand what A,B,C, and equal loudness scale are in terms of simulating human loudness perception, but, like most information written about audio concepts, there is a lot about "what" it is and very little about "why" and "which one" to use for specific situations. Thanks Jim for the recommendation. Do you think that Inspector XL is a lot better than the other three that I already have? I'm not particularly concerned about about how the meter looks (although I do admit that I am fond of analog meters for their looks), but rather reliability and usefulness. The VU meters have the problem of not enough range (as mentioned in my original post), so I am thinking that the PAZ is my best bet except I don't know exactly how to use it. I've tried the documentation which is pretty much useless. Once again, it tells me "what" I have but not "why" or "how" "or "when" to use it. If someone is able to answer a) and b) from my original post, that would be rockin. Other metering tips are also welcome. BTW, some of you may be thinking, "Why is this geek so hung up on meters? Use you ears, kid!" I promise after I sort this out, I'll go back to being an artist
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM

Thanks Jonathan. I think I must have been still typing while you posted your response.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Do you think that Inspector XL is a lot better than the other three that I already have?
Without a doubt.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 PM

Could you be more specific? Worth $90? Do you have experience with the Waves meter?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:28 AM

i bought the Inspector XL just yesterday from Elemental as they had an offer on ...$45 i think, and it seems an excellent set of tools. I would certainly recommend checking out the demo from them first - although i think the offer was only running for about 48hours.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:23 AM

I saw the $49.- offer a few days ago and jumped myself (after taking a quick test spin with the demo version). Today I received an email offering the same deal again, so if you're thinking about it, just go to the company’s website. (That marketing stuff? It really works!)

I like InspectorXL a lot. The graphics are great and customizable to a substantial degree. I was impressed by its efficiency. As a test, I ran 4 plugs inserted across a printed stereo mix file, while running the session at the same time. With all four windows open, no hesitations, stutter, freezes, hangs, jitter, glitches, or sneglarps* - at all. (Dual 2.5 G5, 3GB of RAM.)

Unfortunately, as was mentioned, it is RTAS only and makes it practically useless as a session tool (except for looking at individual tracks). I knew it going into it (after all, one gets AU and VST functionality as well). Lobbying Elemental Audio to go to work on a full-blown TDM version comes to mind.

I don’t work for Elemental Audio and have no financial interest in the company. I will however say that - based on this version of InspectorXL - I am going to root for them… because I want more from them. Now!
(I'm a frustrated SpectraFoo owner waiting for an OSX-compatible TDM version of that otherwise brilliant app.)

* Yeah, I made it up.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)