Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2003, 11:34 AM

Default 8 track deliverables format?

What is the general standard for printing the dialog, music and effects on DA88/98?

1-track configuration
2-ref level(i'm assuming -20)
3-slating
4-anything else

thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Re: 8 track deliverables format?

Quote:
Originally posted by anders:
What is the general standard for printing the dialog, music and effects on DA88/98?

1-track configuration
Almost always is Dialog 1, Mx 2, Fx 3 This is the standard for Mono and can immediately go to 35mm for archival. If stereo, then Dia 1-2, M 3-4, F 5-6 St. Comp 7-8. Hoever, different studios will have different requirements, so ask. The most inportant thing is to be Clear on your labeling.

Quote:
2-ref level(i'm assuming -20)
Ref level in the US is -20. In Europe you will be asked to go -18.
Quote:
3-slating
This is dependant on what you are delivering-If A theatrical, Split into reels, then Slates and Academy leader w/ Head and tail Pops are appropriate and required.
However, if dealing with a program that is tied, then neither are required. (Do not put an Academy on a tied master-it will only serve to confuse the recipient)

Quote:
4-anything else
Just be clear on your label. Contact the client for their Formatting-This can save you a lot of grief...
Hope this helps-
Todd A.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:43 PM

A couple of novice questions for The Chinese. What do you mean by a tied master? What exactly is Academy leader? Do these terms apply to ad work or just feature work? Sorry for the amatuer stuff.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:44 PM

A couple of novice questions for The Chinese. What do you mean by a tied master? What exactly is Academy leader? Do these terms apply to ad work or just feature work? Sorry for the amatuer stuff.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]:
A tied Masster is a complete film/Tv show-No Reel breaks. Like a DVD. "Split into reels" means that the show is split into either 10 or 20 min reels, and are noted as R1, R2, R3 for the 10 min format or R1AB, R2AB, R3AB for the 20 min reels.
An Academy Leader is the Film "leader" that you see sometimes on old movies with the seconds counting off, the sweeping hand, then a Sync Pop on the "3", which is the 3 FOOT mark. (Film is measured in Feet+Frames, with 24frames going by each second.) The Academy Leader is 12 Feet.
It is not used in AD work, as it is TV.
Hope this answers your questions...
-Todd A.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:42 PM

I must repeat, it all depends on what you're doing and what the client or broadcaster asks for.

For example.

Alot of shows we do for Discovery etc.

Layout is as follows:

Channels 1+2: Full Stereo Mix
Channels 3+4: Stereo Music
Channels 5+6: Stereo FX
Channel 7 : Voice-Over
Channel 8 : Interviews

On a Cartoon we had to also deliver:

Channels 1+2: Stereo Music
Channels 3+4 : Stereo SFX
Channels 5+6 : Stereo BG's
Channels 7+8: Stereo Dialogue.

Living the dream.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:05 AM

Unfortuunately, this varies from broadcaster to broadcaster. So you need to check with the client.

Mark

Living the dream.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:16 AM

Always ask for a copy of the client deliverables, this will list the DA88 track config and also any other format required.
We do stuff for Discovery and what we're asked for is different to what others are asked for (maybe because we're in the UK, I don't know?)

We are asked to provide a splits DA88:

1&2: Dialogue/Sync
3&4: Music
5&6: FX & Atmos
7: Narration
8: Quotes/Translations

As well as providing the Final Mix & M&E on the DigiBetas.

So basically there is no standard.....!
[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

The Sound House Post Production Ltd.
Old 01-09-2003, 06:41 AM

Hello. As was ponted out by several people, directly or indirectly, there is no set standard. It depends on the client and the project. Sometimes they'll want an international version, an airplane version, etc. and each will have different requirements. Different clients will have different requirements for different things. As was also pointed out by most everybody, ask the client, ask twice, ask three times and be very, very clear and thorough with labeling.
Old 01-09-2003, 08:19 AM

Anders,
Here is the proceedure that I use. Before you start mixing, ask the client for a copy of the Network or Delivery specs. Do this at the start. This will determine what levels you deliver track layout and the way you mix the show. Any tape that leaves your studio should be marked with name of the show, the date, the track layout, your sync rate, drop or non drop your name, the studios name, address and contact number. This way most questions that anyone will ask will be answered on that tape. If not then they can contact you. I agree with "The Chinese" (Todd) that most tapes if they don't request a particular layout should be Dia, Music and then Fx. I also deliver another D-88 of a 5.1 mix on tracks 1- 6 of the D-88 and an Lt./Rt on 7-8.There should be no slates past 15 sec before program starts.There should be tone of at least 30 sec a minute before program starts. Once again it's delivery specs. As for the Academy leader you can have a 2 pop if it's on your tape (Video Master) or sometimes for Foreign since some shows go back to Film instead of delivering a NTSC Video clone.On a side note everything I mix is always in Surround and has been fot the last 12 years. If you have the ability to provide it, DO IT! It seperates you from your competition and if you can go one step further deliver them a 5.1 mix also. That is where your monitor matrix comes into play. By now you all know what I have so I won't get into that. Finally it is nice to see everyone sharing their insite and experience here. It's good to see people I know in Hollywood like "The Chinese" (Todd) who I met through the DUC. He is a very knowlegeable guy who I'd love to mix with someday. Keep the info flowing!
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.