Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-1998, 02:40 AM

Default MasterList & in car CD players

I can't get disks burnt in ML to play on my Sony multi changer in my car.
Any ideas?
Old 03-26-1998, 05:49 PM

Default Re: MasterList & in car CD players

I use Master List CD and have never had a problem playing cds in my car.... could be the brand of cds you use.. (I only use TDK and Ampex... had problems with Maxell)... also do you write an image file before hand?... Do the discs play on other cd players?... good luck
Old 03-31-1998, 05:39 PM
Jim Clark

I have had the same experience with disks burned with MLCD in my car CD player(also Sony). All my other CD players work fine. I am currently experimenting with other brands of media to see if this helps. I'll post my results.
Old 04-02-1998, 07:51 PM

I find the Gold disks are more compatible than the green ones in fussy players.
Old 04-17-1998, 08:00 AM

I use Materlist but also TOAST alot to do quick copies of mixes. I have no problems using them in my car CD charger (a pioneer) but I have had a few problems on other CD players (sony). Maybe Sony have a problem???

I have used different CDR medias, but I must say that the cheapest ones comes out with far less problems and seems to play better then many of the more expensive ones. So for everyday use, I only use the chsapest media available and i works great!
Old 04-17-1998, 04:52 PM

The cheapest media isn´t always the worst as economies of scale allow manufacturers of good quality media to provide it cheap!
Old 04-29-1998, 04:08 AM

I have found that disks burned on my Yamaha 100 have problems in car players. Disks burned on my Rocoh never have problems. Doesn't seem to matter what disks, brands, color or anything. All disks play fine in regular cd players.

There definitely is a problem out there that no one that I know of has addressed.
Old 05-26-1998, 01:14 PM
Avid

Here's the lowdown...

Unfortunaley, this happens from time to time, not often but it does happen. There are several factors that can contribute to this problem.

The first is the ongoing debate about types of blank CD's. There is some truth about some being better than others. Let me clarify, a particular type of CD burner is optimized to work with a particular type of blank CD. When I say "type of blank" I don't necessarily mean brand name but the actual chemical used to make the blank CD surface. Blanks are referred to by brand name as opposed to the actual type of blank.

Unlike commercially purchased CD's which have surface made of metal (of sorts), the recordable surface of a blank CD is simply a chemical that responds to the laser of a CD burner. Different chemicals respond in different ways so, CD burners are optimized to record to a particular type of blank.

Each CD recorder has a type(s) of blank that it recommends. This is not a recommendation of Digidesign or Masterlist CD but of the manufacturer of the CD Recorder. This information is included on the Masterlist CD Specification grid which can be downloaded here from our website. Blanks are designated by the brand name of the blanks (this can be another confusing topic because most all blanks are made by a small number of CD manufacturers)

Contact the manufacturer of the CD recorder for more information on recommended blank CDs.

Using a non recommended blank CD can increase the potential of a disk not playing back.

Another thing that can cause a CD to not playback is a CD recorder (as well as CD player) that is out of calibration. If the CD burner is not burning the disk to spec but is not far enough out of spec to post an error message you can see this problem. Some CD players are more "forgiving" than others and will play back the disk where others may not.

A third reason is... recordable CD technology. I hate to say it but it's the nature of the beast. Although this shouldn't happen at all, reality is that it does happen from time to time, again not often but it does happen. If you are seeing this often then it is a problem and your system should be checked out. Try any of the things mentioned here and if you still don't get better results give us a call.

A disk that is not playing back or is not recognized by a CD player is very similar to recording with a hot signal. The CD player sends out the laser to the disk surface waiting for it's reflection back. If that reflection is less than 60% to 70% of the original laser signal the CD player will either reject it or be unable to read it and therefore will not playback. Again, some CD players are better than others at compensating for any problems that may exist.

I hope this helps.

JC
Old 05-27-1998, 04:50 AM

More input:

I had problems (unrecognisable discs or audio degradation) with all brands of unbranded discs in a ten-year-old CD player. The only exception was Apogee gold unbranded. All branded discs seemed to work fine.
Old 05-28-1998, 09:31 PM

I would agree with most of what Techsupt has to say about particular blank cd's and the model of cd burner you have, he didn't elaborate on the question that was raised about "automotive" cd players.

It is a rare occasion when a regular cd player will not play one of my disks, but it is not rare to hear of a "Sony" manufactured automotive cd player having problems.

There is a problem, and I think it is more than "correct chemical" blank cd's. How do I know this? Read on...

I have 2 cd burners(1 Yamaha Cdr 100,1 Ricoh 1420). The problems occur with cd's made on the Yamaha, not the Ricoh. It has nothing to do with any brand or chemical. Has anyone else encountered this "phenomena"? Surely there is an explanation. Is it just Sony auto cd players that are guilty? I believe they are more susceptible, but don't know why.

I would agree with most of what Techsupt has to say about particular blank cd's and the model of cd burner you have, he didn't elaborate on the question that was raised about "automotive" cd players.

It is a rare occasion when a regular cd player will not play one of my disks, but it is not rare to hear of a "Sony" manufactured automotive cd player having problems.

There is a problem, and I think it is more than "correct chemical" blank cd's. How do I know this? Read on...

I have 2 cd burners(1 Yamaha Cdr 100,1 Ricoh 1420). The problems occur with cd's made on the Yamaha, not the Ricoh. It has nothing to do with any brand or chemical. Has anyone else encountered this "phenomena"? Surely there is an explanation. Is it just Sony auto cd players that are guilty? I believe they are more susceptible, but don't know why.