Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Am I Missing Something?

I just bought the MBox 2 Pro yesterday. I have an FMR Audio mic pre going into the line level input of the Mbox. My computer is a G5 Quad, with plenty of ram. I'm recording an electric guitar direct into the pre with the Waves GTR plugin instantiated in pro tools. I dial up a nice sound in the plug in and set my recording latency to 128. Anything higher just doesn't feel right on the guitar. Also, this is the same latency i record with in Logic thru the Apogee Duet. So...i hit record, start playing, and about 15 seconds into the session, i get an error message saying that I need to increase the latency in the playback engine. I increase the latency but i can feel the delay when I play. This just won't do. So I see this little option called "Low Latency Monitoring". I turn it on but then I notice my Waves GTR plugin goes into bypass. When I hit record, I only hear the direct sound of the guitar.
In Logic, I can record my guitar with a 128 latency and with the Waves GTR fully active. Am I doing something wrong in Pro Tools?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Am I Missing Something?

Have you enabled multi-core processing? Goto the playback engine dialog and try different settings on the number of CPUs you're using. I remember one thread talking about this in particular. It seemed that some folks were getting better results only using 2 cores. But certainly you should experiment with this in order to dial your system in. You should be able to record at 128 no problem on that system. I have a dual 2.0 with 5 gigs of ram and i'm rockin 128 all the time (while tracking). If that doesn't work, you may have to track dry, then mix in your guitar rig software on 256 buffer. But that way sucks a bit because you're not being inspired by the sound of the emulations, etc. By the way, when posting, be sure to include details of your system, OS, version of PT, etc.
Also, are you recording to a second drive? If not, better get one now!!!!!!
good luck
Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM

Another option is to split your guitar signal...record both anyway...one path going direct into the Mbox left, (for future processing). The other path going through an amp with all the tone you need and no latency going into the Mbox right. Don't monitor from PT. You might even use the 'amped' track in the mixdown later.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the replies. I changed my multi-processing setting from 4 processors to 3 and so far, everything is working fine.