Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2023, 02:06 PM

Default Sonarworks Reference 4 Measure

Anyone running an OMNI / HDX setup using Sonarworks 4 who knows how to setup Reference 4 Measure?

For the life of me I cannot setup Measure to output through the OMNI. I can get input to / using channel one, but none of the options being listed in the output menu in the Measure pull down outputs sound. I would guess that the OMNI should be listed here, but nothing I have tried will provide that choice.

I contacted Sonarworks Support and got back a rather vague reply saying, "Avid hardware can be a bit tricky that way, I can recommend checking that your interface is currently not reserved for/being hijacked by Pro Tools when trying to use the Measure app." I not sure what, "reserved" means or how to un-reserve.

I've tried running Measure without opening ProTools, as we'll as after opening Protools.

I understand that Reference 4 is not the latest version, but I have made this work once in the past a few years ago, but recently moved and wanted to run new calibrations. My setup is largely unchanged from my last run, so I obviously figured it out back then or it just worked. I honestly can't remember.

In advance, any assistance will be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2023, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Sonarworks Reference 4 Measure

I think you need to not have Pro Tools open, and you need to (shoot, it's been awhile at this point) set the card/Omni so that CoreAudio is using it as an I/O in the Mac Sound Preferences. I forget what the exact terminology is, but It won't do that with Pro Tools running.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-16-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
I think you need to not have Pro Tools open, and you need to (shoot, it's been awhile at this point) set the card/Omni so that CoreAudio is using it as an I/O in the Mac Sound Preferences. I forget what the exact terminology is, but It won't do that with Pro Tools running.
Thanks, Kerry!

Still no go here. Tried looking into your recommendation here as well as trying everything else I can think of. Nothing.

Frustrating that no one seems to know what it takes to use this software - especially saddening that Sonarworks can't give more than just a passing 'shoulder shrug' supporting their own software. It's not like Pro Tools is some unknown DAW used by nearly no one. Even more saddening that I can't remember at all what I had done to get Measure working when last used. Sigh...
Old 05-16-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
Thanks, Kerry!

Still no go here. Tried looking into your recommendation here as well as trying everything else I can think of. Nothing.

Frustrating that no one seems to know what it takes to use this software - especially saddening that Sonarworks can't give more than just a passing 'shoulder shrug' supporting their own software. It's not like Pro Tools is some unknown DAW used by nearly no one. Even more saddening that I can't remember at all what I had done to get Measure working when last used. Sigh...
Yeah, the level of cluelessness in support that appeared at Sonarworks when they rebranded as SoundID has not been comforting.

I had an HD native and HD IO, previously (Team Carbon since January) and I recall setting up a CoreAudio device (but I don’t recall the nomenclature) for it and running the Reference Measure app standalone to capurture the EQ profile without issue, but it’s been a few years. (Carbon works differently). I do think you have to have CoreAudio things for the Inputs and Outputs, and the system has to be assigned to use both…?

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 05-17-2023, 12:24 PM

Hmmm, A couple of things to remember:
1-try doing the measurement at 44.1K(I remember that was a "must" back when I bought my version 4 package)
2-do NOT have Pro Tools open
3-unless you are measuring more than stereo, you can do the measurement with any interface. My 003 would not work, but I borrowed a friend's little Behringer USB interface and the entire process went thru without a hitch.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-18-2023, 03:24 AM

You may have done this already, but I would first make sure the ProTools is actually quit. Then I would go into your Mac system preferences under the sound pane and select your omni as your Mac input and output. I do also remember that the sample rate I think was limited to 44.1.

Hope this helps!
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 05-18-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
You may have done this already, but I would first make sure the ProTools is actually quit. Then I would go into your Mac system preferences under the sound pane and select your omni as your Mac input and output. I do also remember that the sample rate I think was limited to 44.1.

Hope this helps!
Hi Will,

My ONMI is not an output option in my Mac's System Preference Sound settings.

Thx!
Old 05-18-2023, 08:31 AM

Hello,

After employing a 3rd party interface and abandoning my AVID hardware for this purpose, I've been able to successfully run calibrations.

Thanks for all of the replies here! Much appreciated.

~ Greg
Old 05-18-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
Hi Will,

My ONMI is not an output option in my Mac's System Preference Sound settings.

Thx!
The Omni itself won't show up as an option in Mac system sound, but rather the device to which it is connected: HDX or HD Native.
Old 05-21-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
The Omni itself won't show up as an option in Mac system sound, but rather the device to which it is connected: HDX or HD Native.
This. And only in CoreAudio mode.