Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Default Low Latency Monitoring on HDX not showing

Hi all,

I'm running the latest version of pro tools on a 2019 Mac Pro (Catalina). I have an HDX rig with S5 Fusion.

When I enable HDX as the playback engine I lose the "Low Latency Monitoring" option. As in, it literally disappears from the menu. I need it enabled as I use the S5 for monitoring.

I can get the option back by configuring the HDX in the "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O" setup and then using that as my playback engine. But then I seem to lose the DSP (or at least they aren't showing in the hardware monitor).

Am I doing something wrong with how I'm configuring things?

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Low Latency Monitoring on HDX not showing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashtbn View Post
I can get the option back by configuring the HDX in the "Pro Tools Aggregate I/O" setup and then using that as my playback engine. But then I seem to lose the DSP (or at least they aren't showing in the hardware monitor).
You can’t do that... that is aggregating the CoreAudio interface version of the HDX... you need the HDX as the actual playback engine to access the DSP.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:54 PM

Thanks, I assumed that was the case. So the problem remains that when I choose the HDX as the playback engine I lose the “low latency monitoring” option from the menu. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-05-2020, 04:55 PM

Not sure what else is going on, but folks with console monitoring suffer with Pro Tools enough ways... you can hopefully work around issues by muting tracks that are record enabled.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-05-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:15 PM

It’s not something that can be worked around sadly. Muting them loses any ability to punch in. Also, I’m not going to manually mute 128 channels every time I want to record.

I use the channel’s A input for the mic etc and the B input for the return from protools. Without the LLM it results in a feedback loop.

I shouldn’t need to work around it either....

Old 11-06-2020, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashtbn View Post
Hi all,

I'm running the latest version of pro tools on a 2019 Mac Pro (Catalina). I have an HDX rig with S5 Fusion.

When I enable HDX as the playback engine I lose the "Low Latency Monitoring" option. As in, it literally disappears from the menu. I need it enabled as I use the S5 for monitoring.

Am I doing something wrong with how I'm configuring things?

Thanks.
Low Latency Monitoring is not possible with HDX, it is already "included" in it. LLM is made only for HD Native and ASIO drivers, Core audio as it take longer time to pass the signal from In to Out.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:44 AM

If that’s the case, how do I actually configure it to work? Without it I can’t route a pro tools channel to the same strip on the S5 without a feedback loop occurring as soon as I arm it.

Old 03-11-2022, 02:42 PM

Still have to get used to this as well, since I recently moved to Pro Tools HDX with MTRX. Low latency monitoring has huge benefits when dubbing a lot of vocal tracks. When working native with an Apollo , I have 1 monitor chain with 1 steady sound for the vocalist, also when I dub over 20 backingvocal tracks that are panned and already processed in a mix.

The only work around I can think of is using 1 track for recording and then drag the recorded clip to the destination track afterwards. Which is an extra operation every time and also this gets tricky when punching in because I have to cut away the punch in part in the clip before recording otherwise I will hear the old take simultaneously with the live recorded take. Muting the track is not an option because it is necessary to hear the already recorded material during pre roll.

Since HDX is the most expensive option it actually should be an option to choose low latency monitoring when the workflow requires this.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:17 AM

Hmmm, I wish I had direct experience so I could offer up a solution, but having said that, I know a few folks that use HDX with consoles in Nashville and none of them have ever mentioned an issue. This makes me wonder if it has to do with how you are routing audio. I know that's not a solution, but it might at least give you hope that there is one

As for who I am talking about:
Blackbird
Addiction Sound
Paragon Studios

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-12-2022, 09:25 AM

well, the very clever thing that Low Latency Monitoring does, is cutting off the input path once a track is record armed, while the output path remains active. So even when the track is armed and in transport playback, the already recorded clips on the track are still playing back (even with plugin processing when 'allow sends to persist in LLM' is checked in preferences) which is perfect when punching in.

I can't think of a work around for this when HDX is the playback engine.

Last edited by RobertDorn; 03-12-2022 at 10:16 AM.