Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2003, 01:50 AM

Default OS X for PC... how many of you would switch?

Marklar (OS X for PC)

Though I have zero interest in buying Apple hardware, I do find OS X interesting. I've been using OS X for the last week in the studio that I'm working in. I have to admit, it's pretty easy to use. It feels way more like Windows than previous versions of the Mac OS (which I like).

If you read the link above, then you know that there are posibilities of running OS X on our beloved AMD and Intel PC's. Then we would be able to have all the Mac toys (PT6) without the loss of power. The best of both worlds. I would buy it right away. Of coarse I'd dual boot with XP on a seperate drive [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Jayman #9
Old 02-14-2003, 02:03 AM

Default Re: OS X for PC... how many of you would switch?

I'd probably buy it... but would definitely go "dual boot". Some things I have are only available on the PC / Win XP, while Pro Tools 6 might be nice to run under "Marklar" (love the South Park reference [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) - assuming you'd be able to.

One reason I've stayed away from Macs is the price - too much $ for what you get power wise. Sorry Mac lovers, I'm not trying to start a fight here, but that's reality. The linked article talks about Apple's "highly profitable" hardware sales - no wonder, considering the prices they charge. But if I could use traditional PC hardware with OS X, it might be worthwhile to purchase the OS. It's Linux based, so I don't see why they couldn't port it over.

Yeah, I'd buy it - IF I could run PT 6 on it and all the current "mac only" plug ins.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:39 AM

Well the thing about price is companies need to make money to say in biz. Apple will spend of R&D. Alot of companies don't. Gateway is about to go under. There have been so many pc and pc part companies that are no longer with us.

There are Mac users who would mind using a AMD or Intel with Mac OS X. But most people like myself buy Macs for the OS.

Wiz
Old 02-14-2003, 03:46 AM

I dunno man-I was just reading about how some of those guys with Dual Processors are getting like ten or twelve tracks on a Davec test. Sounds pretty tempting to me.........
Old 02-14-2003, 07:38 AM

A couple of facts
1) Marklar will never happen. Apple would use a custom bios and mobo so that you would still have to buy thier hardware (just like Digi ... a hardware company) So you'll never get OSX on cheapo PC hardware. Thats like saying I'm gonna run PT TDM/HD on my Delta 10/10. It'll never happen.
2) Davec is useless guage to anyone with a creative mind. If think PTLE power is all about DAVEC you need to get a little sunlight. I've done whole CDs on a P3-700 and a G4 533. Get over Davec will you?

the 'slide
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 07:54 AM

The DaveC test only highlights limitations.

to be creative i want as few limitations as possible.

That said most of the (paid) work I do is of classical stuff with 4 tracks maximum & only 2 plug-ins if any.

800MHz Ti-book
1 GB RAM
MBox

DaveC=23
Old 02-14-2003, 08:00 AM

Uh oh......please don't turn into one of "those posts"
Old 02-14-2003, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultraslide:
A couple of facts
1) Marklar will never happen. Apple would use a custom bios and mobo so that you would still have to buy thier hardware (just like Digi ... a hardware company) So you'll never get OSX on cheapo PC hardware. Thats like saying I'm gonna run PT TDM/HD on my Delta 10/10. It'll never happen.
2) Davec is useless guage to anyone with a creative mind. If think PTLE power is all about DAVEC you need to get a little sunlight. I've done whole CDs on a P3-700 and a G4 533. Get over Davec will you?

the 'slide
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Whew that brought up some stuff for you bro. Good to see you here hanging out with us. Soon you will be a PC owner just like the rest of those that keep peeking in. I would have to say that quality wise, the PC hardware is far superior now to Mac thus the reason our country depends on them for 99% of the server base including our Government. Oh yea, Charlie we need a couple new servers over on the Gulf Base can you send us a couple of those lamp looking IMacs over right away. Apple is a pro at marketing to people that read People and Glamour magazines. They have a niche and they know how to market to these people. It is the same people that pay 70,000 dollars for a Jaguar XK8 that they think is still made in Europe. Guess what, Ford Motor Co. is making them and they have the same parts as the new Lincoln for 40,000.00. Same with Volvo now made by Ford Motor Co.

Macs look good on the outside and are very appealing to people that don't know **** about hardware. They do have a good OS in OSX now, but certainly no better than WinXP or Win2000. But most of the hardware is manufactured by other companies just like the PC. Do you think Mac makes the IBM hard drives they use in these systems? The only thing Mac inside a Mac is the motherboard and CPU. Possibly the video in certain models. So that leaves us with a CPU that underperforms the fastest AMD now by about 150%. And did Digi give you guys something in PTLE 5.3 for the Mac that makes you more creative? I want it!!
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2003, 08:25 AM

what CPU does MAC make... as far as I know Apples' CPU's are made by Motorola and IBM
Old 02-14-2003, 08:33 AM

I have rarley used a mac (only used IMovie...its great), but what I get from people who use them is that they love them because they find them more stable. This may not be true.
The irony here is there is another thread "Why is PT LE for Windows so great?". And most common answere people give is they like PT LE because it is more stable than other apps. And because of that they can do without the "bells and whistles" that you get in other apps.
Why the hippocracy?

I would buy OS X if I could.
Will It happen.....well.....never say never.