Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Bring back the Lexiverb!

I used to use Lexiverb all the time too, but you have remember 2 important things:

#1: If you want to use 96k Lexicon reverbs, the only way to it is to drop more than a few grand on a 960L. With the proliferation of Pro Tools system since the demise of Lexiverb, Lexicon isn't hurting in the realm of hardware sales. Let's remember...they run a business too, if too many people buy a $1000 plug-in instead of a $15,000 piece of hardware, the only place you'll see Lexicon gear is at high-end Home Theater stores. Remember Studer?

#2: Lexiverb is not the property of Digidesign. They have to license the name and all of it's contents. Please refer to #1 for further discussion.

The best of both works would be what Steve MacMillan suggested:
Quote:
Lexicon and TC should come up with a 1U, 4 engine box with AES i/o and a HTDM plug-in that controls each engine (midi?). It could support different DAWs, they could sell their premium chips, and we would have the convenience of a plug-in with automation and instant recall.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Someone is already doing something similar to that with VST plugs, why not do it though HTDM?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:21 AM

I have held off moving to HD because of the lack of Lexiverb (amongst other things). I guess I have less choice about moving to OS X eventually but I don't want to give up my Lexiverb.

I will be looking at hardware reverbs in the near future I think.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:25 PM

I love lexiverb, one of the best verb plugins I've heard. I hope I can find one that can replace it. Others just don't compare.

Vetsen
Old 04-10-2003, 02:42 AM

any suggestions as to which lex hardware would be the cheapest in order to get comparable quality compared to lexiverb?
thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2003, 09:14 AM

A PCM91 sounds nice.

sm
Old 04-10-2003, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by imi:
any suggestions as to which lex hardware would be the cheapest in order to get comparable quality compared to lexiverb?
thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">for better quality, MPX-100 or MPX500 for 48k sr
then again, i usually prefer the sound of Reverb One to Lexiverb...
depends on the application for some things.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:50 PM

Same story here -- no Lexiverb on HD or PT6 is a real drag. It would be great to see Lexicon or Digi update it.

Altiverb sounds amazing -- but using it is ridiculous. The choice: a ridiculously slow session because the CPU is being hammered by the Altiverb processing requirements, or 17 quadrillion samples of latency. Lame. I wish someone at Digi or one of the development partners would invent a way for TDM plugins to have access to the Mac system memory (ie - TDM with DMA) so we could have Altiverb and the various soft-synth samplers running on TDM with the samples stored in system memory.

Of course, I can understand why Lexicon wouldn't give a damn about updating Lexiverb -- they probably only sold about 5 copies. It's been kracked for what...at least five or six years?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2003, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Of course, I can understand why Lexicon wouldn't give a damn about updating Lexiverb -- they probably only sold about 5 copies. It's been kracked for what...at least five or six years?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...yes, but a lot of the reasons here for not porting the Lexiverb would apply to the Focurite D2/D3 as well, what is the value or sonic void of that plugin that excells the value of Lexiverb?
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 04-12-2003, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GW:
...yes, but a lot of the reasons here for not porting the Lexiverb would apply to the Focurite D2/D3 as well, what is the value or sonic void of that plugin that excells the value of Lexiverb?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Simple, the Focusrite plugs are emulating an analog device and don't sound close to the original units (not for lack of trying). Lexiverb is based off of digital units and programs that can be easily be emulated in Pro Tools. What motivation does Lexicon have for making a product that sounds as good as a 960L for less then 1/10th the cost?
Old 04-12-2003, 10:18 AM

Try the SonicTimeworks ReverbX for the PC.

It sounds closer to a PCM91 than a 480L. Which is not bad at all.

The RTAS version is also good.